Question: How to modify root files without going through terminal?

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been editing a lot of system files lately and every time it seems that moving any type of file to the root folder requires mounting and unmounting the folder through terminal and then manually typing in the command to move.

Would anyone happen to know an easier way to install non-root applications to the root folders or if an app is in development. Thanks!

OP
droid d'oh

droid d'oh

Reaction score
I've been replacing 2.1 system apps with backups from 2.0.1., such as the alarm clock application. When I copy and paste it in 'root explorer' it doesn't work, whereas if I use command line apps such as terminal it works just fine.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
well howcome you would that? your giving the new 2.1 the old 2.0.1 default apps instead of the new ones?

PersianDeity

Reaction score
help ME if ya can too!... I have root on my phone (i'm also a super n00b, sorry) learning commands for linux as I type... I know I can type "SU root" and get 'super user' access... which so far has gotten me nowhere in terminal emulator (for what i'm trying for)... all i'm trying to do is copy an APK file to /system/app/ ... I change to the /sdcard/download/ folder... then do this: "cp some3Dgame.apk /system/app/" ... it says "read only directory"... why does it matter if it's read-only if i'm a SU!... help? how can i copy this file there?... i'm not even sure if it's going to solve my end all desire but i'm gonna try! lol...

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try ADB.
messageenteredistooshortsigh

calicocal

Reaction score
The problem with root explorer seems to be that it gets the permissions messed up. If you long press on something it will bring up a menu bar and it will have permissions on it. Check the apk you want to replace and make sure the new one has the same permissions.