Question Help! SamSung Galaxy S3 US or International?

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
I want to have an SamSung Galaxy S3 unlocked phone. So that I can use it for an unlimited data plan. I'm thinking either Straight Talk or Virgins Mobile USA Unlimited for 35.00 a month.

I live in Everett WA.

My only question is based on those companies and the plan I want, and where I live and the phone I want, which phone is best for me? The International Version or the North American Version? Which is best for unlimited data in my area with that phone and those companies and data plans.

Also as an extra question now that I think about it, is there a cheaper. Unlimited data plan available too? Thanks. Everyone.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Virgin Mobile USA is a CDMA carrier. So you'd have to get a S3 from probably Sprint (since Virgin is a MVNO of Sprint). Straight Talk is both GSM and CDMA I believe. Either way your best bet with Straight Talk would be to bring the AT&T S3.

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
But couldn't I just. Get one that's unlocked so that it can work on any network wether it be sprint or att or tmobile or whatever?

drew96dawg

Reaction score
But couldn't I just. Get one that's unlocked so that it can work on any network wether it be sprint or att or tmobile or whatever?

No the international version is gsm meaning it will only work on gsm networks (t-mo and at&t) straight talk uses t-mobile or at&t depending on which sim you have.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

Yes and No.

The international one will not work on Sprint or Verizon for example, because of their cellular technology. It's not GSM (with the exception of their LTE networks which is just for data ATM). You can however get it to work on AT&T or Tmobile but with varying results. Since it's international it will defiantly work for calling and probably EDGE data. 3G data speeds are another story. I'm not 100 one this but I think at most the international GS3 will support 3G on AT&T network but not T-mobile. This has to do with the bands supported by the phone. Again, I'm not 100 on this but it's normally what goes on.

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
So if I get a North American S3 Unlocked it can work on straight/tmobile/sprint? Those are the three I care about.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So if I get a North American S3 Unlocked it can work on straight/tmobile/sprint? Those are the three I care about.

If you go the Sprint route you HAVE to get the Sprint version. You can buy it off contract.

As for Straight you can get an unlocked T-mobile or AT&T version. If you go through T-Mobile just get the T-Mobile version. You can use an AT&T version, but you'll only get voice and EDGE.

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
I'll get the one from Sprint then, without a contract and get it unlocked so that I can also use it for straight talk web if I choose to later. But how do I get it from sprint unlocked and without a contract? I can't find it at all from the Virgin site. Also does the S3 have 4g like the HTC does?

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
And on the sprint. Site I can't get it unlocked or without a contract.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You should be able to get it off contact. It's like $550 or something.

As for 4G it has LTE which at this point won't work on Virgin cause they use WiMAX. So you'll only get EVDO.

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
Yikes who would have thought getting a S3 would be so complicated based on where you get it. Is the new Iphone this much trouble? Or can I just get it from anyone unlocked off ebay and have it work to the full potential of what straighttalk or virgin has to offer on unlimited data?

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
My only fear is. That if I buy an S3 for the virgin data plan and later I decide to go with the straight talk then I have to buy another S3 all over again because what your telling me is that if I want to use the unlocked S3 to it's full potential it has to be a specific S3 for that data plan.

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
Where can I buy it unlocked and ready to work with virgin? Because I heard that you can't get it from sprint and have it work with virgin. And on the site. Virgin doesn't have them.

OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
OP
W

wwfjdraw

Reaction score
ok wait a minute. Someone just told me that if I get a ATT unlocked S3 that it will work on the straight talk plan and use it on it's full potential is that true? Because if it is then I'll just do that and be done with it.