Question for Mac owners....

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Lynx, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Ok so I bought a Macbook on Sunday and I absolutely love it. I figured out how to get my Google calender synced to iCal, but is there anything out there that syncs iCal to my Google calender so I can view it on my phone? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
  2. BradDroid

BradDroid New Member

I think you just turn on sync on the Droid and it does it over the air maybe. I've not synchronized calendars
  3. Lynx

Lynx New Member

I can sync Google calender, but thats not my question, my question is syncing my iCal to Google. I have my Google events showing up on iCal but I dont have my iCal events showing up on my google calender.
  4. CBLJazz

CBLJazz New Member

5. lucky58

lucky58 New Member

I sync iCal with BusySync. Its goes very fine, one 've to pay for the app though (not to expensive)
  6. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Thats fine I dont mind paying for a quality app I just want all my calenders to sync up. Ill check out both of those. Thanks.
  7. word2218

word2218 New Member

put all appointments in your ical under your google calendar, and not home calendar.. that way it will sync automatically to google, then sync to your droid OTA. thats the way I have mine setup, so I don't have to pay anything for OTA calendar and contact sync.
  8. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Thats a good idea... have you ever visited icalshare.com? I have calenders from their I would like on my google calender too, I will try to add them there and Ill keep you posted.
  9. alex1moss7

alex1moss7 New Member

Hmm, I don't understand: iCal has a built-in mechanism to sync to Google, no extra apps. I have maybe 15 Google Calendars, I can select which ones to display in iCal. I can edit my Google Cal from w/in iCal and it posts back to Google immediately. Anything in Google Cal syncs immediately to Droid, so my Droid and iCal are always in sync. No 3rd party apps, it's built into iCal.
  10. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Your not understanding my problem.

I have Google appointments on my iCal
    I dont have iCal appointments on my Google Cal.

I have calenders from icalshare, that I want visible on my Droid, but not sure how to get them there.
  11. alex1moss7

alex1moss7 New Member

You're right, I misunderstood. I only enter data onto my Google Cal, I edit it in either place, and all the other calendars I view are based in Google, not based in iCal. I thought you could publish iCal such that Google could subscribe to it, but haven't done that. I quit there before creating any further confusion.
  12. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Ya I have my important events in both cal's no problem. But I have some "fun" calenders like sports team schedules, olympic schedule etc that I got from icalshare, that i would like to view on my phone. Not a big deal.
  13. DroidFan

DroidFan New Member

Personally, I've been using Macs for years and I found that the Google Calendar rocks much more than iCal. I've eliminated using it, because, if you think about it, you're doubling syncing now. I just leave my browser open (which BTW, try out the Google Chrome Browser for Mac...awesome!) and keep a tab open for my Google Calendar, which syncs to the Droid. Much simpler and cleaner than trying to sync up with the iCal.

Hope this helps!
  14. alex1moss7

alex1moss7 New Member

I partly agree -- I only enter and edit data into my Google Cal, regardless of whether using Google or iCal to edit the data -- I don't have iCal native calendars, just use it to view my Google data.

Why bother w/ iCal? Well, Google offline sucks. I live in a world where I'm in planes, in client offices, all kinds of places where I'm not online every second, and I need offline access. Yes, Google has the "feature," but like so many other Google features, 1. it doesn't work well, and 2. they don't talk to you to help. I get a very specific and very consistent error when following their offline procedure, many other people have posted on the Google forums about this same problem, and Google is utterly unresponsive -- they probably monitor user forums, but they certainly don't help fix problems in real time. Bottom line: it's not even close to rock solid reliable, and I need rock solid calendar access. Therefore I use iCal to view my Google Cal data offline.

It works very well for me, ymmv.
  15. jzgilbert

jzgilbert New Member

I just started using SpanningSync and I haven't had any problems with it, doesn't duplicate and copies everything over (both ways) perfectly fine. Although I got it for free through a friend, don't quite know if I would pay 65$ for it.
  16. Mixist

Mixist New Member

You have to export the calendar of events out of iCal then import it into google Calendar. I struggled with the same thing for a while until I figured it out.
  17. RMcCall

RMcCall New Member

no point in paying for an app, just open ical then go to preferences then accounts then click the + and click add a google account and your done, you can do the same for your address book too
  18. Chillson

Chillson New Member

Just to throw this out there, you can put a Google Calendar widget on your desktop of your mac. No idea how well it works though.
  19. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Love my Mac Book Pro, also.

Take a look at this link (How to Sync iCal with Google Cal)

I think this may work (Sync - Google Calendar Help)

Once you get the two in sync I would think that google would push to your phone. Let me know how you make out.
    Mike

Go Big Ten!!!
  20. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

Ah I remember when I scoured a way to sync my make with Google. It was such a headache...After getting my droid, I completely ditched iCal and use gCal now and it's been great!