Question for Mac owners....

Lynx

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a Macbook on Sunday and I absolutely love it. I figured out how to get my Google calender synced to iCal, but is there anything out there that syncs iCal to my Google calender so I can view it on my phone? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

BradDroid

Reaction score
I think you just turn on sync on the Droid and it does it over the air maybe. I've not synchronized calendars

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score
I think you just turn on sync on the Droid and it does it over the air maybe. I've not synchronized calendars

I can sync Google calender, but thats not my question, my question is syncing my iCal to Google. I have my Google events showing up on iCal but I dont have my iCal events showing up on my google calender.

lucky58

Reaction score
I can sync Google calender, but thats not my question, my question is syncing my iCal to Google. I have my Google events showing up on iCal but I dont have my iCal events showing up on my google calender.

I sync iCal with BusySync. Its goes very fine, one 've to pay for the app though (not to expensive)

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score
I sync iCal with BusySync. Its goes very fine, one 've to pay for the app though (not to expensive)

Thats fine I dont mind paying for a quality app I just want all my calenders to sync up. Ill check out both of those. Thanks.

word2218

Reaction score

Thats fine I dont mind paying for a quality app I just want all my calenders to sync up. Ill check out both of those. Thanks.

put all appointments in your ical under your google calendar, and not home calendar.. that way it will sync automatically to google, then sync to your droid OTA. thats the way I have mine setup, so I don't have to pay anything for OTA calendar and contact sync.

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score

put all appointments in your ical under your google calendar, and not home calendar.. that way it will sync automatically to google, then sync to your droid OTA. thats the way I have mine setup, so I don't have to pay anything for OTA calendar and contact sync.

Thats a good idea... have you ever visited icalshare.com? I have calenders from their I would like on my google calender too, I will try to add them there and Ill keep you posted.

alex1moss7

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't understand: iCal has a built-in mechanism to sync to Google, no extra apps. I have maybe 15 Google Calendars, I can select which ones to display in iCal. I can edit my Google Cal from w/in iCal and it posts back to Google immediately. Anything in Google Cal syncs immediately to Droid, so my Droid and iCal are always in sync. No 3rd party apps, it's built into iCal.

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't understand: iCal has a built-in mechanism to sync to Google, no extra apps. I have maybe 15 Google Calendars, I can select which ones to display in iCal. I can edit my Google Cal from w/in iCal and it posts back to Google immediately. Anything in Google Cal syncs immediately to Droid, so my Droid and iCal are always in sync. No 3rd party apps, it's built into iCal.

Your not understanding my problem.

I have Google appointments on my iCal
I dont have iCal appointments on my Google Cal.

I have calenders from icalshare, that I want visible on my Droid, but not sure how to get them there.

alex1moss7

Reaction score
You're right, I misunderstood. I only enter data onto my Google Cal, I edit it in either place, and all the other calendars I view are based in Google, not based in iCal. I thought you could publish iCal such that Google could subscribe to it, but haven't done that. I quit there before creating any further confusion.

OP
Lynx

Lynx

Reaction score
You're right, I misunderstood. I only enter data onto my Google Cal, I edit it in either place, and all the other calendars I view are based in Google, not based in iCal. I thought you could publish iCal such that Google could subscribe to it, but haven't done that. I quit there before creating any further confusion.

Ya I have my important events in both cal's no problem. But I have some "fun" calenders like sports team schedules, olympic schedule etc that I got from icalshare, that i would like to view on my phone. Not a big deal.

DroidFan

Reaction score
Personally, I've been using Macs for years and I found that the Google Calendar rocks much more than iCal. I've eliminated using it, because, if you think about it, you're doubling syncing now. I just leave my browser open (which BTW, try out the Google Chrome Browser for Mac...awesome!) and keep a tab open for my Google Calendar, which syncs to the Droid. Much simpler and cleaner than trying to sync up with the iCal.

Hope this helps!

alex1moss7

Reaction score
I partly agree -- I only enter and edit data into my Google Cal, regardless of whether using Google or iCal to edit the data -- I don't have iCal native calendars, just use it to view my Google data.

Why bother w/ iCal? Well, Google offline sucks. I live in a world where I'm in planes, in client offices, all kinds of places where I'm not online every second, and I need offline access. Yes, Google has the "feature," but like so many other Google features, 1. it doesn't work well, and 2. they don't talk to you to help. I get a very specific and very consistent error when following their offline procedure, many other people have posted on the Google forums about this same problem, and Google is utterly unresponsive -- they probably monitor user forums, but they certainly don't help fix problems in real time. Bottom line: it's not even close to rock solid reliable, and I need rock solid calendar access. Therefore I use iCal to view my Google Cal data offline.

It works very well for me, ymmv.

jzgilbert

Reaction score
I just started using SpanningSync and I haven't had any problems with it, doesn't duplicate and copies everything over (both ways) perfectly fine. Although I got it for free through a friend, don't quite know if I would pay 65$ for it.