Question for Droid2 owners; will you root

tbirover

Reaction score
Short answer: I expect so.
Screen shots I've learned from work, are a real blessing. BTW, not liking Launcher Pro at the moment or using anything like that and is easy w/o Root once the framework there for it (and shortcut to the command process. dancedroid) I can live with has to be on my PC.

Tempting, very tempting for tether, backups, annoying ads so easy to oops! Naked ladies bad enough (I'm not lesbian) but clogging the works, space and history on a small screen. Getting more and more irritating.
Although grasping why it shouldn't, just galls me I can't chuck clutter I've no use for. Perhaps if I didn't have to see it every time I'm looking for something at least…?
And general dinkablity and accessablity, might just get creative.
A bit timid I'll manage to fry or otherwise destroy an expensive to replace tool I'm loving as it is. Need to know more before risking the warranty thing.
Would like to get this a stable operation and just be there – maybe the intrigue will die down by then and be back to what I should be doing.

kechamb

Reaction score
I have thought about this but have decided stock is fine with me for now and I have enough stress in life without taking a chance of screwing up my phone. I now the risk of that happening is low if you follow things step by step but for a newbie to the smartphone world it just seems overwhelming.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I have thought about this but have decided stock is fine with me for now and I have enough stress in life without taking a chance of screwing up my phone. I now the risk of that happening is low if you follow things step by step but for a newbie to the smartphone world it just seems overwhelming.

Nothing wrong with that!

born2golf

Reaction score
I have rooted, mostly to be able to do wifi tethering and backups. I'm new to android, but there seems to be a dizzying number of ROMs which is a bit intimidating to a newbie.

Sidenote: I have been hacking and modding video game consoles for a long time, and for the past few years mostly on the Sony PSP. In regards to that device, there are a lot of conflicting tutorials on the web about how to hac it, but at the end of the day at least there is only 1 piece of hardware to be concerned about functionality. My fear is that with the many various incarnations of phones the ROM distributions will become unmanageable. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this potentially as problematic as I fear, Or am worried about nothing?

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score
Sidenote: I have been hacking and modding video game consoles for a long time, and for the past few years mostly on the Sony PSP. In regards to that device, there are a lot of conflicting tutorials on the web about how to hac it, but at the end of the day at least there is only 1 piece of hardware to be concerned about functionality. My fear is that with the many various incarnations of phones the ROM distributions will become unmanageable. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this potentially as problematic as I fear, Or am worried about nothing?

My answer would be yes and no. No because with more distrbutors you have more to choose from to suit your needs. And yes because some of those that create those ROMs may not work on all devices. Even though two people may have the same phone, they perform differently. But i do understand your concern.

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score
I have recently been reading more threads on this forum as well as others that the new devices coming soon will be hard, if not impossible to root. Have the carriers and manufacturers seen how much rooting is going on. Don't get me wrong, i am in no way against rooting, its just not for me. But will this mean that any updates that may come to our devices will now block any attempts to root because of the enhanced software?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I have recently been reading more threads on this forum as well as others that the new devices coming soon will be hard, if not impossible to root. Have the carriers and manufacturers seen how much rooting is going on. Don't get me wrong, i am in no way against rooting, its just not for me. But will this mean that any updates that may come to our devices will now block any attempts to root because of the enhanced software?

The DX and D2 were initially considered impossible to root.