Question for Droid App Developers...

Reaction score
Any of you guys that are App Developers for Android or are familiar with the tech specs of the SDK, I have a technical question for you about Why Apps can't be put on the removable memory. Is there a problem with the performance of an app from removable memory that prevents it from being put on there or is it just a preference in the OS? Is it possible that future OTA updates could change this to allow for apps to be installed on the removable memory so that there is more than 256 mb of space for apps? This was my number one concern when deciding on this phone. I went ahead and got it but the idea of being able to upgrade storage capacity is worthless with nothing to put on it but music or video or pics. I got this to be a mobile computing system with app expansion capabilities but if I can only expand a little then I don't see this truly competing with the iPhone as a platform anytime soon. It's a great pacifier for those of use who refuse to go to AT&T but even with all the "iDon'ts" the iPhone has, this "iDon't" on Droid, could be one that keeps it from ever really competing.

Stigy

Reaction score
When I had my TMobile G1, the device was rooted and I was able to run applications on the SD card. For this to be a viable solution the SD card the apps are running off of MUST be at least Class 4, but Class 6 is optimal. This would increase costs on the phone for Google as well.

In order to do this you need to have the ability to edit parts of the phone that aren't editable without root access and you also need to be able to load a custom ROM.

Most, if not all, custom ROMs for the G1 have Apps2SD coded to save space. It was awesome not to have to worry about which apps I wanted to download.

Root will definitely come soon...