[QUESTION] droid malware possible?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by chewy74, May 24, 2010.

1. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

My gmail recently sent out a mass email that I did not initiate, to a bunch of people in my address book. I'm not sure if the infection came from my PC or my droid. I hardly use my computer for email or surfing so I wanted to know if its possible the droid could be infected with a virus or malware like a PC would be.

Last I heard droid was still untouched by these things, is this still true?

In case it matters, the mass email sent out was for digital cameras deals
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Android is based on Linux, which is arguably THE MOST secure operating system out there. You should be fine.
  3. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

The contacts go to your gmail account, so while you have the contacts on your phone and in gmail, odds are it came from your email address through the desktop, even if you don't use it often.

Malware is tricky, it can sit dormant for long periods before it starts deploying stuff.
  4. inconspicuous bandito

inconspicuous bandito New Member

While Linux may be secure that does not mean it is immune to malware, that being said it is unlikely you have a piece of malware on your phone. The reason for this is logistics, if you were going to make a virus why would you make it for only .0001% of devices you could infect? This is exactly why PCs get malware where as linux and mac do not get it as often, the numbers aren't there to make it profitable.

Since you don't use your desktop often I would say you probably entered your login credentials on rogue site and once they had your password their bots were able to mass email everyone you know. For instance for a bit of time if you googled gmail the first hit would be a rogue site that would actually steal your info.
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

This happened to me yesterday...some guy in france did it...i logged on from the mobile gmail site for the first time yesterday and then it happened. Googles help center shows this is a common occurence...best bet is to change your google password

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. sarreq

sarreq New Member

change your gmail password, it probably got hacked
  7. Grabraham

Grabraham New Member

It would be far easier to develop a neat little app like a soundboard or walpaper or whatever you think would be attractive to droid users that has spamming software bundled into it and get it distributed via the market place as a legit application than it would be to create some sort of self propagating maleware code... why bother to propagate when you can let the users do the install for you ;)
  8. Dudeicus_Maximus

Dudeicus_Maximus New Member

Also, don't forget to check what permissions you're giving the applications you're downloading. Many of them get permission to view your contact data.
  9. Droids

Droids New Member

The gmail account was compromised and a spammer used it to send spam, had nothing to do with your Droid. Create a secure gmail password and make it unique to gmail, don't use it on any other websites.
  10. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Rouge App...Sure....

Malware? Doubtful....
  11. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

hmmm any ways for me to figure out what app it could be?

any tracking methods?

thanks fo rteh replies everybody
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

There's no reason why malware isn't possible for the Droid. In fact, the freedom of the droid makes it easy. However, it sounds like your gmail account was just normally hacked, probably from a windows PC.

Step 1 - Make an app or game that is really popular. Ideally, it's an app that requires root access.

Step 2 - decide on a "trigger". You can make it wait for a certain day/time, or have it poll a website for some activation code, or something like that. You have to make sure that it lies dormant until the trigger is activated, otherwise people will quickly figure out what the app is up to.

Step 3 - decide on the payload. Want an app that makes crank phone calls? How about taking photographs or screenshots secretly? Records audio remotely? Delete files? Make copies of files (photos, videos, emails) and upload them to a server somewhere?

if you can't get it accepted to the market, just tell people it's a really cool theme, and they will just install it themselves :p
  13. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

Se7enLC, thank you for planting the seed of paranoia...now i wont install a theme ever again
    ;)

14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I've always wondered about that. People say "Linux is secure, you can't get viruses!" but as soon as a user sees "permission denied" or is asked for a password, they give up root access without thinking twice. With freedom comes self-responsibility. Google is NOT protecting users from themselves! I'm pretty sure there IS malware in the market - applications that phone home and report information that they aren't telling you about, at the very least, programs that sit in memory on boot without permission. Take a look at what access Sudoku Free wants to have...

I consider myself to be a very savvy linux user, but I don't read every line of source code or script I run. If not for the community calling you out for it, you could almost just post obviously malicious shell instructions on here and people would blindly read it off and type it in on their droid. I still remember the first time I told somebody how to use the linux rename command...
  15. Dudeicus_Maximus

rm is remove...
  16. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

yes, that was the joke.
  17. Dudeicus_Maximus

./duh.sh
    woops
Search tags for this page
good malware scan for droid