Question: Do BT Headsets with built in Voice Dialing work on Droid?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Hi,

Have a BlueAnt Q1 BT headset on the way to me. It has built in voice dialing and was wondering if any knows if BT headsets with built in voice dialing work(voice dial) on the Droid?

If no one knows I will update if it does or not when I get mine.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bluetooth voice dialing is currently not supported... i'm thinking it will be eventually ...

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Bluetooth voice dialing is currently not supported... i'm thinking it will be eventually ...

I know it doesn't work natively on the Droid at the moment, I am talking about the BUILT IN voice dialing of some BT head sets. With the Q1 it stores its on set of speed dial numbers accessed by voice command.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Heh -- people commonly read what they want to read (versus what the OP actually posted) on forums. I don't have first hand experience with the Q1 but Googling easily turned this up. See post #9:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/72679

Cool, thanks! BTW, I am a fan of Google searchs first also, but everytime I search fo something about the Droid it directs me back here...so I just go straight to the "experts" here :)

I found this on the thread you posted from DickB and it is encouraging!

"You can do voice activated speed dialing from your DROID but the process must be initiated from and controlled by a device such as the BlueAnt Q1 Bluetooth headset which can be purchased for about $55 on the Internet. The way it works is as follows and it opperates just as if the DROID itself actually supported Speed Dialing. WHICH IT DOESN'T!

1) You have to first receive a call from the phone number which you wish to add to your speed dials. Just call the person and ask that they call you back!
2) After their call is finished you press the control button on the Q1 which will verbally ask you which speed dial to assign the number to.
3) You simply say "speed dial 1 or 2 or 3"! you get the idea!
4) To dial a number in your speed dials you simply press the control button on the headset and then say "speed dial 1 or 2 or 3".

It's all controlled by the headset and incidentilly you can also say "check battery" or "check time" and quite a few other commands which can be listed for you by simply saying "what can I say" or "teach me" It's really pretty cool!

Other models of BlueAnt headsets also support this function and there may be other manufacturer's units that do as well but I personally use the BlueAnt Q1 which works very well. I have a collection of about 7 or 8 headsets I have tried out but the Q1 seems to work best for me.

I have to add that I am very disappointed that my DROID is missing so many features which any self respecting cell phone supports such as repeating missed voice mail and incoming call notifications, speed dialing, the ability to send ringtones to others and turning off the phone lock.

Well I hope this helps ease the pain for other DROID owners who want to use speed dialing on thier crippled Motorola phones".

He who dies with the most toys wins!
cool.gif
Good luck people !"

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry for my close-minded response. i had no idea this was possible, good luck. i may look into a device like this for myself now :)

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
sorry for my close-minded response. i had no idea this was possible, good luck. i may look into a device like this for myself now :)

No worries, with all the chatter about no voice dialing on the Driod it is understandable.

I got my BlueAnt Q1 on sale for $49 and free shipping, normal retail is around $130 or so. It got the best reviews for noisey enviroments which is how I found it to start with, the built-in voice control and modern styling was icing on the cake.

BlueAnt Q1 Voice Controlled Headset - BlueAnt Wireless

311101566_tp.jpg

sassiergirl

Reaction score
Hi Dave ...how did you get your blueant for that price? Does the the voice dialing feature with the motorola droid? Thanks

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Currently $49 AND a 7% coupon sale...

BlueAnt Q1Bluetooth Headset - White Box

And the sale ended yesturday
Sale ends today, the 13th. This is tempting...

Go for it, not only does it have very handy built in voice control, BUT the sound quality and range is second to none, and the noise cancelling is the best! I can use it while cutting a tree with a BIG chainsaw and the other person can still hear me clearly. No kidding!!

Plus it looks high tech enough to match the high tech looks of the Droid.

A win, win in every way....it would be 100% perfect if I could figure out how to change the voice prompts to a sexy female voice :)

Last edited:

Droids

Reaction score
Go for it, not only does it have very handy built in voice control, BUT the sound quality and range is second to none, and the noise cancelling is the best! I can use it while cutting a tree with a BIG chainsaw and the other person can still hear me clearly. No kidding!!

Plus it looks high tech enough to match the high tech looks of the Droid.

A win, win in every way.
I've been considering the Plantronics 975 because it also has great reviews and doesn't hang off the top of the ear. I wear glasses so I'm wondering how cumbersome the Q1 might be. Looks like it has a pretty thick earloop thingy...