Question cuz I'm curious haha

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by czerdrill, May 30, 2010.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

In the droid commercials in the fine print it says "Droid" is owned by Lucasfilms. So I assume Motorola and Verizon license from Lucasfilms to be able to use the word. But what about all the droid sites out there? Did droidforums have to get permission to use the word droid in their website name? Droidlife? all the other droid sites...just wondering.
  2. razorseal

razorseal New Member

I thought about this too to some extent. I mean it's called a droid (I actually didn't know the word droid was owned by lucas arts lol) but the droid thingy doesn't look anthing like a star wards char, or this has NOTHING to do with Star Wars.
  3. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I think technically, if Lucasarts wanted to go after every site that used the term "Droid" to make money, then they could. The trick is that they have to be using the term to make money.

As far as this website goes, I think it's an NPO, so it's not bound the same way legally. IANAL and this is just my best guess.
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

well it has to do with star wars in that there are "droids" in star wars. like r2-d2 and c3po are droids...haha i sound so nerdy. but just wondering, the word droid is owned by Lucasfilms, but does that mean we can't use the word droid anywhere without permission. i find it hard to believe the "mom and pop" droid websites got permission from Lucas, so I assume it's not necessary.
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

well it can't be non-profit/non-commercial as there are ads on the site so that explanation doesn't work...i think you're right that if Lucas wanted to he could, but it's probably not worth his time or money to pursue something like that

i could be wrong and droidforums.net could very well have gotten permission to use the word, although i doubt it :D
  6. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Having ads doesnt mean this website isnt an NPO.... It also doesnt mean that people cant be paid to operate it.... It simply means that there are no shareholders and profits are only used towards operating the organization.

It may not be an NPO, I really dont know, but ads and collecting fees for premium members does not in and of itself negate the possibility of an NPO.
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I don't know man. I'm having a hard time believing droidforums.net qualifies as an NPO under any gov't standards haah...but i guess stranger things have happened.