Question! Can i transfer roms between safe and unsafe mode?

Reaction score
today i got bit by the flashing bug... i installed mav rom 2.5. Its currently running with safestrap in safe mode. I would however like to follow cm9 development. Is there any way i can transfer this to non safe mode so i can continue using safemode to test other roms? Or do i gotta toggle to unsafe and start all over? I really hope its not the latter!

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Im doing the exact same thing. I would just make a backup of maverick in safemode. Then flash cm9. You can always go back. I ran cm9 for a few hours myself. I just need my camera. Maverick just is bug free and no issues whatsoever.
The cm build is slick though.

DROID 3 ~ running Maverick 2.5

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmmm.. i guess that'd work lol. Should i format system and what not before i apply the nandroid? It should still load up right?

pedwards3x

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
As of right now this is the best way to do it. Only other option is to use bootstrap and flash the more stable one to your nonsafe system, then install safestrap to flash the test ones. Then its just a quick switch of the safe to nonsafe to change roms. But making and restoring backups is easier and just as fast lol

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Endoroid

Reaction score
I had a thought on this

A safestrap backup consists of 5 files

cache.ext3.tar
Data.ext3.tar
System.ext3.tar
Systemorig.ext3.tar
Nandroid.md5

If we make a backup in safemode, then switch the names of system and system orig then open Nandroid.md5 and switch the md5 sums of those 2 then switch to nonsafe and do a restore, would this switch the roms?

This would then keep all your data, meaning you can move your safe rom to nonsafe without losing data and avoiding all the switching of bootstrap/safestrap

Sent from my rooted xt860

haztv

Reaction score
New to the D3 scene and im trying to understand this concept because I too would like to flash back n forth between 2 roms... I don't really mind doing it the "long way' as long as im doing it right. Do I basically have to nandroid my safest recovery then uninstall safestrap flash bootstrap and flash say liberty or any other stable rom, then remove bootstrap and flash safestrap thus making my non safe rom whatever custom rom I had on prior to flashing? Then i could flash cm9 for my safe rom and flash back n forth n never have to deal with the blur? If that's the case I can do this while im sitting in my car right now lol someone respond :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Endoroid

Reaction score
New to the D3 scene and im trying to understand this concept because I too would like to flash back n forth between 2 roms... I don't really mind doing it the "long way' as long as im doing it right. Do I basically have to nandroid my safest recovery then uninstall safestrap flash bootstrap and flash say liberty or any other stable rom, then remove bootstrap and flash safestrap thus making my non safe rom whatever custom rom I had on prior to flashing? Then i could flash cm9 for my safe rom and flash back n forth n never have to deal with the blur? If that's the case I can do this while im sitting in my car right now lol someone respond :)

Yep that pretty much it

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a thought on this

A safestrap backup consists of 5 files

cache.ext3.tar
Data.ext3.tar
System.ext3.tar
Systemorig.ext3.tar
Nandroid.md5

If we make a backup in safemode, then switch the names of system and system orig then open Nandroid.md5 and switch the md5 sums of those 2 then switch to nonsafe and do a restore, would this switch the roms?

This would then keep all your data, meaning you can move your safe rom to nonsafe without losing data and avoiding all the switching of bootstrap/safestrap

This doesn't work I don't believe because the rom in safe mode is loaded in a different "part" of the memory so that's why the safe and non-safe backups are not compatible.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

haztv

Reaction score
Yep that pretty much it

Just flashed from cm9 alpha 6 in safe mode to SD 4.5 my non safe rom... Thank you good sir. Seems like this locked bootloader ended up providing us with a small blessing if you look at the positive side of things lol

haztv

Reaction score
ok I'm having trouble booting cm7 up in non safe mode. Is it only blur based roms that u can flash in non safe mode? Because I would like to have cm7 as my main rom and cm9 as my safe rom is that possible I keep getting a black screen after the splash screen

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk