1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Question] Can I Piece Theme Parts Together?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xCaldazar, Jun 7, 2010.

1. xCaldazar

xCaldazar New Member

There are many themes out there and I like some parts but not the theme as a whole. Is it possible to use the apk's that are contained in the zip files for the nandroid/sprecovery to install only parts of the theme I want. Say I like the music widget theme from smoked glass. I was thinking I could take the glasstheme.zip unpack it, then navigate to GlassTheme\system\app and install the apps I want to. The problem I am having is when I select these apks in astro I get install unsuccessful for many of these. I was able to do something similar with bugless beast using the switchmusic script. Is there a full command I could type in and use? The I'm running a rooted 2.2 Droid. Do I need to somehow enable root access for Astro or the default installer/uninstaller program? Would I be able to simple copy over certain files from my sd card to the correct system folder to get this to work? Maybe this isn't as simple of a task as I expected. I did a lot of searching but whenever I type in stuff like android, 2.2, rooted, applications, and install I just get how to install a rooted android. I couldn't think of much better search terms.
  2. area52

area52 New Member

You need a file manager like root explorer to do that. astro doesn't have root access. personally I use both. 2nd, I think theme parts can be swiped and installed easily with ninja morph (but I haven't tried it yet) 3rd I would be careful though because the 2.1 apks may not work on 2.2
  3. xCaldazar

xCaldazar New Member

Ya I was aware that some 2.1 might not function on 2.2. I was actually gonna take only a few from 2.1 themes. Most would be from few 2.2 themes I have seen. I made a backup incase anything goes terribly wrong. Thanks for the reply, I'll search up those programs.

Anyone know about the command line prompts/scripts in bugless beast and how they relate to replacing programs?
  4. xCaldazar

xCaldazar New Member

I tried Metamorph and root explorer. Even with themes meant for 2.2 whenever I tried to install it or copy in place of the other one, it simply deleted it from any use at all on my phone. I'm not sure if it is a 2.2 glitch or if I am doing something wrong. :(
  5. xCaldazar

xCaldazar New Member

How about this idea? I'll try and report if I get time before a reply is posted. In this thread I put an example of extracting and update.zip to get to particular files. Would I be able to apply a similar idea, but just delete the files I don't want and then compress everything back up so that I can use sprecovery and apply it as an update.zip?
  6. area52

area52 New Member

I'm still learning here so I'm not sure on that one. I would assume it could work. Did it? I'm wondering whats the best program for all that cause basically you are just making a theme that's a mash up of other themes. There is a thread in cyanogenmod forum under Droid themes where the op posted a mash up theme. Maybe ask him how he did it
  7. xCaldazar

xCaldazar New Member

Looks like it got me stuck at the Motorola M. Can't even get to the bootloader. lol. Tried a 2.1 theme though. Well lets hope I can get into recovery.

Booted recovery no problem, able to restore. I'll have to find another way. Bugless Beast w/ Glass Theme isn't bad, but I want to keep Froyo, and having few of my apps be similar.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010