Question Before I Attempt Root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ArmoredCavalry, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just had a few questions before I attempt root, and was hoping somone could help me out.

First off, I got my Droid about a month ago, it already had 2.1 installed, so I have never gone through the update process.

This brings me to my first question. It seems that if you want to root, no matter what, you will have to lose your app data. Is this correct? Also, if so, what about a normal OTA update? Would I also lose all the internal data (app settings, etc.) if I just waited for an OTA update from Verizon?

If I'm going to lose all data either way, I might as well go ahead with root. Once rooted it sounds like it becomes possible to backup all app data, for future upgrades?

So basically, I am just concerned about data loss. Reinstalling apps/programs and/or losing data is a pet peeve of mine. It is the reason I do nightly image backups of Windows on my desktop. :p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. mentaloaf

mentaloaf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked around to see if rooting from 2.2 is even possible yet? Also, once you get rooted and start messing around with different roms, kernels, and themes you are going to be doing quite a bit of data and cache wiping. Even though you can back everything up with apps like Titanium Backup, you are still going to be doing a lot of re-installing and re- setting up. Most of the rooted users on this forum enjoy this process like I do....I'm almost addicted to installing a new rom every two days or so and setting up my phone all over again...If it is a pet peeve of yours then I'll tell you right now, you're not going to like it..

3. ArmoredCavalry

Ratings:
    +0
    EDIT: The first post was supposed to say, it already had 2.1 installed, sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I really don't like having to re-install everything constantly... So maybe I should just avoid rooting. However, that still leaves my question of, does an OTA update wipe everything as well?

If OTA update is just in-place and keeps all your settings/data, I can wait a month (probably) for 2.2.

4. neubanks89

neubanks89 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend rooting the 2.1 and leaving it stock. that way you wont lose data and you'll be able to overclock and use root apps. it'd also make it easier to keep root/root 2.2 without losing data also. I like the process of wipe and reinstall also, I didn't at first but it feels good to clean out your phone every so often and titanium makes it really easy to make sure you never lose data or settings.

5. mentaloaf

mentaloaf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I didn't mean to discourage you from rooting, he's right, you can root and remain stock and not have to deal with too much wiping. Once you root though, if you do want to install an overclocked kernel and any roms, there will be a process of testing different things out while making backups all the while. This may get tedious for you.

Once you root, the first thing you're going to want to do is get titanium backup from the market (its free, and its awesome) and back everything up.

6. ArmoredCavalry

Ratings:
    +0
    So, from your posts, it sounds like, I can root my current rom (stock), without losing any data?

So, I could root my current rom, install titanium, then do a full backup, all without losing data? Or am I not understanding the process correctly?

I have been reading this thread here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html

I thought that installing the "update" would take you back to an old rooted version of android, which is then your stepping stone to custom/unofficial roms. Is this not the case?

7. mx371

mx371 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Since no one has answered the OTA question, I'm pretty sure the OTA's are made to keep your data for the specific purpose of not making users have to reinstall apps and readjust settings.

8. ArmoredCavalry

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info on OTA, also I found a link to another thread with Q&A about rooting:

"6. Last things last, this isn't a problem so much as it is something that people ask over and over and over and over and over and over again...if you use the update.zip file instead of the Nandroid Backup file, you will NOT - I say again - NOT, lose your apps, shortcuts, contacts, etc."

I guess that answers my earlier question about losing data by just rooting. :p

9. mx371

mx371 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you wipe the cache/data you will lose everything. When changing roms it's usually a good idea to wipe data/cache just so everything runs smoothly. If you don't plan on using/changing roms all the time and use the update.zip method you should be ok data wise. Good luck staying away from custom roms and themes though ;)

10. durrell

durrell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you go from 2.1 stock to 2.2 rooted, you will have to wipe. If you go to 2.1 rooted from 2.1 stock, you may not have to wipe (although it's recommended). Usually when staying with the same version a wipe isn't necessary. I've switched between 3-4 2.2 roms and not had to wipe.

11. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good root thread in my sig, a good read IMO. Thank cristim.

12. ArmoredCavalry

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I just successfully rooted, pretty cool stuff. There is something very satisfying about having a fully functional linux terminal running on a phone. 0_o

I might have to try a custom rom now, if only to get 2.2. However, at least now I can make a titanium backup w/ all data first.

Speaking of which.... how exactly would I 'roll back' to my old data if I wanted to?

If I'm understanding things correctly, it seems like it would be a two step process of
    1.) restoring the nandroid backup to get the exact rom back
    and
    2.) restoring a titanium backup to get all the small things (apps, settings, etc.) back

Thanks for all the help so far btw, I appreciate it guys!

Edit: Also, you could restore titanium backups to other rom versions without losing any app data, etc.?

13. mx371

mx371 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about restoring TI to other ROMs, although I would think it should work, but the nandroid backup is a flashed image of exactly what you are running at the time of backup. I suggest using rom manager to rename your backups so you can keep track of them a little better but you'll be limited to clockwork recovery if I'm not mistaken..

14. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats AC ,I recommend Advanced nandroid back ups with everything asterisked! Have fun! PS I hear the baddest ROM by Woody man is dropping this week:) Use ROM Manager if you can't do that on your own via sp recovery.

15. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm going to answer your questions in reverse order.

Edit: Yes. It works with the SD card and not with the system/ROM data.

2. Yes and no. As I'm unfamiliar with Titanium Backup I'm guessing, like any other backup program, at the very least you'll still need to put shortcuts back on the home screens. You'll restore your phone to "exactly" the way it was before you started messing with a Nandroid backup. Basically, it'll reinstall apps you didn't have installed before you flashed in the backup.

1. The phone will reboot with the old data, including all your shortcuts and settings, but it's probably best to wipe both the system/cache data at least twice (most seem to prefer 3x) and then just the cache data 2-3 times BEFORE you restore the backup just to make sure no old data clutters them up and screws with you.

Please, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a Nandroid backup before installing any kind of mod, ROM, theme, or kernel. That way if anything goes wrong you can just wipe system and cache data and reinstall the backup and you'll be exactly where you were before you flashed in the ROM or update or kernel. I can't stress this enough.

So, in short, my verbose description (which is possibly less than informative), if you flash in a Nandroid backup image you'll only need to run Titanium Backup if a program didn't download and you don't want to reinstall it from the market. If the Nandroid backup is old enough there might be updates you'll need to install anyway.

For a "stock" rooted 2.2 that's supposed to be the official OTA update anyway (just OC'd and rooted), check this one out -- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/55467-even-more-froyo.html -- and enjoy. You'll need to install Flash, but there should be at least one link somewhere in there you can use.dancedroid

Search tags for this page
after rooting my phone will i loose my applications or data
do i lose info when i root
does rooting always lose phone settings
if i root my note 2 will i lose everything
if i root my phone do i lose my service

if i root my phone will i lose everything

when rooting phone do you lose everything
when you root your phone do you lose all data on it
will i lose data if i root my phone

will rooting your phone make you loose everything