Question about wiping Cache...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jeffe65, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't seen this addressed anywhere else, so I'm asking it here: I'm running MediCkOne's FRG22D ROM, and am having issues related to Launcher Pro and apps that won't download/install. Sometimes when I can clear cache for an app or the market, it clears; but when things all show up in Manage Applications as "Computing...", forget it. Nothing I set there changes anything until either I reboot or the phone digests whatever it's trying to do.

My question is, what happens if I go into SPRecovery and just wipe Cache, and nothing else? Will everything else stay intact, as in apps that are installed, etc., so I don't have to flash the ROM or run a full Restore, as wiping Data would have me doing?

2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When you go into appilcations>manage applications, it should take a little bit for the list to become populated with all the correct info

Wiping cache from recovery won't affect your apps or anything.

3. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've avoided rebooting the phone for 3-4 days at a time, and this process never seems to clear itself. That's why I was looking for another way around this.

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Have you considered installing a cache cleaner? There are two or three free in the market. Typically, I get 6 to 8 MB each time I run mine.

5. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have; I use Quick Cache Clean, and it works when things aren't stuck computing. If they aren't done, it just sits there waiting for information. Otherwise, it works great; there's even a widget that does a one-click clean.

6. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm beginning to think that there is a conflict with your rom and launcher pro. Have you removed the launcher to see if that makes any difference? If you already tried that have you considered switching roms?

7. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking it's Launcher Pro not playing well with sdcard installations, but here's what happened: I got a brief window of opportunity where everything was working, so I moved the few apps I had running from the sdcard back to the phone. I then rebooted, LP saw them, so I set LP as the default launcher. I updated four apps and installed two new ones, no problem.

I've rebooted several times, and all is good so far. Even my USB Storage is working! I'm going to post on LP's forums and see whether this is something anyone else has run into, and maybe PM MediCkOne and see whether he knows of any issues, either with LP or sdcard installs.

I'm keeping the two together for now (LP and this ROM) because the phone is wicked fast, but I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Thanks for your help.

8. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is LP installed on your sdcard? If so switch it to the phone.

9. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No, it's always been on the phone because it's a system app. I had only put "stand-alone" apps on the card, but evidently even that was a problem.

At some point I will probably uninstall LP and move a couple to the sdcard just to satisfy myself as to what's causing it. It may the the two together don't like the card, which can be difficult to identify.

10. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    It appears you have isolated the issue! Glad you got it resolved and that your phone is working well.

Mike

Search tags for this page
should i clear my phone launcher dat
what happens if i wipe the cache from my phone

what happens if i wipe the cache on my phone

what will happen to my apps if i clean my cache on my androi