Question about WIFI

jwd

Reaction score
I just received my phone Wednesday and starting to learn it.

I completely ran the phone down last night so I turned it off and charged it for a few hours. My router is working and I can connect to it with my laptop. But I noticed that I'm not connected to WIFI.

I checked in settings, and it says WI-FY is connected to my network.

What other settings should I change to get it back on WIFI instead of using Data from Verizon?

Thanks,

John

OP
J

jwd

Reaction score
I don't know if I have it figured out or not. I turned it off and let it charge a little bit more. Then I turned it back on, and I now have WIFI again.

Could it have been because the battery was too low?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
You noticed you're not connected but your settings say you are connected... be more specific... why do you say you're not connected??

OP
J

jwd

Reaction score
You noticed you're not connected but your settings say you are connected... be more specific... why do you say you're not connected??

Sure. The reason I didn't think I was connected was because the leters 4G at the top were blue. They are again white now.

I was under the impression that when they are blue I am connected to Verizon Data instead of WIFI.

Maybe (probably) I don't know what I'm talking about.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
You might be having a known issue with the icons not changing color when they're supposed to... try watching a youtube video so you know you're streaming data... look lights on your wifi router... they should be blinking like crazy showing data transfer... the arrows on your 4G icon should be inactive... don't worry about the color of the icon, it's been weird ever since the phone came out

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The data icon is supposed to be White when available, but not connected to Google Services, while Blue means connected. That being said, I've had a data connection when the icon has been white.

View attachment 49285

Last edited:

dfcfu342

Reaction score
Blue icon means background data is enabled, white means it is disabled.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Tonik

Reaction score
Blue icon means background data is enabled, white means it is disabled.

Holy smokes, u r right! Part of the mystery of the blue icon is solved. Just toggled it a few times and it behaves exactly as you say. But mine goes white on its own once on awhile and I have always had background on.

Insert witty sig here.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
To be more specific it means you are connected to Google's servers so when you temporarily lose connection with them it may flash to white for awhile but will turn blue once you are connected again.

OP
J

jwd

Reaction score
OK, how will I know if my Droid is connected to WIFI or using data from Verizon?

John

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, how will I know if my Droid is connected to WIFI or using data from Verizon?

John

I don't have WiFi at home so it's rarely on. When it is, 4G (or 3G) goes white and I see activity with the WiFi icon. It never turns Blue, but that may be because I'm using free WiFi.

OP
J

jwd

Reaction score
I don't have WiFi at home so it's rarely on. When it is, 4G (or 3G) goes white and I see activity with the WiFi icon. It never turns Blue, but that may be because I'm using free WiFi.

So if the 4G is white, I'm using my WiFi? Is that correct?

Thanks,

John

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what it's like with me. I go to the Public Library when I need to use WiFi because I'm downloading something that will only download on WiFi. If it's downloading, I can't be on 4G/3G.

There's a free widget called Data Switch that'll make sure 4G/3G is off.

OP
J

jwd

Reaction score
That's what it's like with me. I go to the Public Library when I need to use WiFi because I'm downloading something that will only download on WiFi. If it's downloading, I can't be on 4G/3G.

There's a free widget called Data Switch that'll make sure 4G/3G is off.

Neat. I'll try to find it.

John