Question about WIFI Tether

Dxun

Reaction score
Just connected my laptop to my phone to see how things would work. Only thing i noticed was that if a phone call came in i would lose connection. Is that normal? I was under the impression i would be able to use the phone while using WIFI Tether. I bought a gaming laptop just to mess with while im on the road. Game runs real nice, ping holds up pretty nice. Only thing is if a phone call comes in disconnect from server.

If not is there a way just to disable incoming calls or the entire phone itself while keeping 3g up and going?

Just so you guys know im using the tether app that comes with Chevy's SS 3.0 ROM.

dadamsx

Reaction score
I'm quite sure you're up a creek on this one. The CDMA infrastructure is not capable of simultaneous talk and data transmit.

As for disabling phone calls - there might be an app for that but while looking through the options on the phone there's no disabling your CDMA connection.

OP
D

Dxun

Reaction score
I'm quite sure you're up a creek on this one. The CDMA infrastructure is not capable of simultaneous talk and data transmit.

As for disabling phone calls - there might be an app for that but while looking through the options on the phone there's no disabling your CDMA connection.

Yeah thought so :( Yeah there are seom apps to disable calls. Wanted my cake and eat it too ;)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only thing i noticed was that if a phone call came in i would lose connection. Is that normal? I was under the impression i would be able to use the phone while using WIFI Tether.
Nope. That's why at&t is taking jabs at Verizon specifically on that point in their commercials.

OP
D

Dxun

Reaction score
Only thing i noticed was that if a phone call came in i would lose connection. Is that normal? I was under the impression i would be able to use the phone while using WIFI Tether.
Nope. That's why at&t is taking jabs at Verizon specifically on that point in their commercials.

Interesting. I was certain that i used my browser while on the phone. I'll have to try that again today.

Big D

Reaction score
If you used your browser while on a phone call, you were receiving a wifi signal.

OP
D

Dxun

Reaction score
If you used your browser while on a phone call, you were receiving a wifi signal.

Well after trying today that must have been the case. This blows!!! Hopefully they change that soon. It really annoys me knowing the Iphone can do something the Droid can't ;)

Grabraham

Reaction score

Well after trying today that must have been the case. This blows!!! Hopefully they change that soon. It really annoys me knowing the Iphone can do something the Droid can't ;)

Don't hold your breath :icon_eek: there is not a fix for it- it is the function of the networking technology. If it is merely bugging you that the 'iPhone Can' then you need to hope for the rumored iPhone on Verizon to come to be because that 'iPhone won't' either and you can feel better :icon_ banana:

OP
D

Dxun

Reaction score

Don't hold your breath :icon_eek: there is not a fix for it- it is the function of the networking technology. If it is merely bugging you that the 'iPhone Can' then you need to hope for the rumored iPhone on Verizon to come to be because that 'iPhone won't' either and you can feel better :icon_ banana:
Actually i want to be on the phone while playing a FPS on my laptop ;)

djdavid60

Reaction score
I believe some of the Tethering apps have an option to ignore the call if you are tethering. PDANet perhaps? I used PDANet on Windows Mobile and you could set it to do that. Not sure about the Droid version though.

missjamie

Reaction score
Rooted Incredible

I rooted my phone and installed and use tether. However, i am wondering if the data service is canceled by Verizon, will it still work or will my phone be totally useless?