Question about when your Droid "Locks Up"... "Sealed Battery Issue

troglodyte

Reaction score
Hi there Droid 4 peeps.
I currently have a Droid 3 and I really need an upgrade. When I first read about the Droid 4 I saw that it has a sealed battery that you can't just open up and replace. My Droid 3 crashes sometimes... and when I try to press the power button to reset.. nothing happens. Sometimes, the only thing I can do it pop the battery. Granted, I run my Droid HARD, I Like to try new apps all the time and sometimes my Droid Freezes up. Have any of you had a problem resetting your droid? Also, just in case anyone is scanning these forums, I want to state that I work in emergency reponse...and I find a touch screen to be unreliable for texting in the field in questionable weather. I am sad to see the low number of physical keyboards on phones in the marketplace. I am sure I would LOVE to play with a samsung galaxy III or some other touch only phone, but the keyboard is a necessity for me... and I hate blackberries with a PASSION. Ok I said that, but please, let me know about your battery experiences with the Droid 4. thank you!

-Troggy

mattjenn

Reaction score
I really haven't had many issues when it does lock up (its only happened like twice) all you do is hold power and volume up and it reboots the phone

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums

CordeliaCross

Reaction score
I am not going to lie, I am someone who hates to call tech support. For me, I kind of had this system of things I would run through anytime my phone acted up, 1) I'd see if I downloaded anything new recently, 2) see if I checked anything online that could have brought over a virus, and last but not least 3) pull my battery. When I first got the Droid 4 it was pretty easy for me to make the jump from the original Motorola Droid to the Droid 4 ( even though I skipped 2 whole phones ;) ). But the hardest part for me was looking at the phone, seeing there was a minor issue, and knowing that it needed to be restarted.

For about the first three times I took off my battery cover and didn't remember until I saw the giant sticker that said "DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY."

There are other means to restart the battery such as holding the Volume key while hitting the power key. This reboots the phone while treating the battery as if it were pulled, sort of like pushing the power button on your computer instead of shutting it down. This will force your phone to restart if it freezes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There are other means to restart the battery such as holding the Volume key while hitting the power key. This reboots the phone while treating the battery as if it were pulled, sort of like pushing the power button on your computer instead of shutting it down. This will force your phone to restart if it freezes.

This is right. Press and hold both buttons for at least 10 seconds and the phone will do the electronic version of a battery pull. This is a true power interruption performed by the power circuitry and is a valuable failsafe method to resolve lock-ups.

moetrain

Reaction score
So with the ICS update the power button combo is now screenshot. What is the new procedure to restart the phone? (If any exists)

ilwrath

Reaction score
So with the ICS update the power button combo is now screenshot. What is the new procedure to restart the phone? (If any exists)

Power + Volume Down is the combination I use. Hold both for 10 seconds. This still cuts power and shuts the phone right off for me on ICS. I think that combination is supposed to make the phone stay off, but probably 75% of the time it instantly automatically powers right back on. But I've never had it fail to respond to that key combination, regardless of how much I screwed something (or everything) else up.

I abuse the heck out of my D4. There's always some garbage thing or another I try.

troglodyte said:
I am sure I would LOVE to play with a samsung galaxy III or some other touch only phone, but the keyboard is a necessity for me...

And yep.... The physical keyboard is the only reason I've stayed in the Motorola family, as well. If there was another reasonably robust keyboard phone out there... I'd likely be all over it.