Question about Verizon accounts, 3G/4G, and contracts.

Card

Reaction score
Hi all, I wasn't really sure where to place this post. This is the only phone forum I'm a member of, and there really isn't a subsection dedicated to account questions, so I figured i would ask here. If the mods know of a better place to move this, please do so.

I renewed my Verizon contract back in early June, before the tiered data plans went into effect. I travel pretty frequently, and often don't feel like bringing a laptop with me, so I can go through a lot of data from time to time. Now, I love my DInc 2. But now that lots of major markets (mine included) have good 4G LTE coverage, I'm considering an upgrade to the Droid 4 when it comes out. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of "Don't get this phone, get that phone" or anything like that. So I'll be as blunt as possible. If I were to buy a Droid 4 (or any other LTE-equipped device) at the full non-contract price from a 3rd party vendor such as Amazon, how will that work out? Do I get to keep my same contract and same rate with unlimited data, or will utilizing a 4G phone force me into a new tiered data plan?

Thanks in advance!

googlelover

Reaction score
Hi all, I wasn't really sure where to place this post. This is the only phone forum I'm a member of, and there really isn't a subsection dedicated to account questions, so I figured i would ask here. If the mods know of a better place to move this, please do so.

I renewed my Verizon contract back in early June, before the tiered data plans went into effect. I travel pretty frequently, and often don't feel like bringing a laptop with me, so I can go through a lot of data from time to time. Now, I love my DInc 2. But now that lots of major markets (mine included) have good 4G LTE coverage, I'm considering an upgrade to the Droid 4 when it comes out. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of "Don't get this phone, get that phone" or anything like that. So I'll be as blunt as possible. If I were to buy a Droid 4 (or any other LTE-equipped device) at the full non-contract price from a 3rd party vendor such as Amazon, how will that work out? Do I get to keep my same contract and same rate with unlimited data, or will utilizing a 4G phone force me into a new tiered data plan?

Thanks in advance!
You can buy a new phone ON contract from Amazon, and you will still have your unlimited data, they have an option where it says keep current plan - unlimited data, so you are fine.

OP
Card

Card

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you very much for the info. Answered my question perfectly!