Question about upping to 2.3

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by boostedf4, Dec 10, 2010.

1. boostedf4

boostedf4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I know that Chevy hasn't released a 2.3 ROM yet and that he's very busy so it might be a little bit before it's available. But, when it does come out, I have sprecovery, so is it just running the update.zip to install it? The OTA is complaining at me to update, and I know I shouldn't cause it breaks root (as far as what I can tell from what I have read). Sorry for such noob question, I'm still somewhat new to the rooting game and wasn't expecting 2.3 for the Droid 1. If someone wouldn't mind explaining Id appreciate it, couldn't find my answer in a search :(

edit: Fixed jargon

#1 boostedf4, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. vbhokiefan

vbhokiefan Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Ok, let me see if I can help (without further confusing you :icon_eek:)

I think you mean ROM rather than kernel, and I'm sure he'll release a 2.3 ROM when it actually becomes available (only the SDK has been released, not the source code). It will most likely be compatible with SPRecovery as well. I'm actually surprised that you are getting the OTA notification (which isn't for gingerbread {2.3} but actually, 2.2.1 which I think SS4.9 already has) since most ROMs block it. But good call on not accepting it, it will most likely break root.

Anyone else feel free to jump in with other opinions or corrections ;-)

3. boostedf4

boostedf4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, yes, I did mean ROM, sorry about that. Had just woken up and rushing out the door when I was writing this. I did know to not accept the update, just wasn't sure exactly how it all went down with updating once rooted. Thanks for the info!

4. chasmanian

chasmanian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't either recovery block install of updates? In the past, I'd tell the update to install. The phone would reboot. The install would fail due to signing. Then you'd never get the notification again, and still be rooted.

5. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is correct. OP, if u have SPR installed u can accept the OTA and it will be blocked by SPR.

Sent using the DF app, from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

6. boostedf4

boostedf4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, good news to hear. My sister tried to update before I got to tell her now to on her droid and I was afraid I was going to have to re-root hers.