1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

question about updating an existing ROM

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Lucas5, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Lucas5

Lucas5 New Member

I'm using Rom Manager and running the Cyanogen-mod which just released an update. If I update the rom, will it wipe all of my installed apps (from market) and settings eventhough it's the same rom but updated?
    Is there a workaround/alternative for keeping a ROM updated w/o losing apps/settings every-time I install a newer version?
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

You should be abel to install the newest version without wiping and, therefore, keep all of your data and settings.

I would, however, make a backup.

Mike
  3. christim

christim Super Moderator

+1 for backups!
  4. Lucas5

Lucas5 New Member

The first time that I installed ROM Manager, I did make a backup. Is there another application that will back up all of my phone settings and any applications that I have installed? I have heard of Titanium Backup. Will that work?
    I'm new to modding my droid and I want experiment to various mods/roms, but the processing of re-installing and configuring my favorite apps could become a choir very quickly. Any suggestions? thank you!
  5. Lucas5

Lucas5 New Member

Welps! The backup is definitely important so I went ahead and downloaded/installed Titanium backup. There's great feedback/reviews about this application so I also donated to the developer of this great app. Now I can really play with all the different ROMs!
  6. mwhartman

Great. Remember that Titanium only back's up your apps and data. You still need to make a backup with SPR or ClockWork. Never, never, make any modifications to your rom without making a backup with SPR or Clockwork.

Mike
  7. Lucas5

Lucas5 New Member

Thank you. When I first installed rom manager, the first thing that (after downloading/installing clockworkmod recovery) I did was create a backup of my existing system. if i ever have problems and/or need to take my Droid to Verizon for service than I'll revert to my stock ROM.
  8. mwhartman

Wonderful. Looks like you have a good game plan.

Mike
  9. Lucas5

Lucas5 New Member

i just started playing around with rooting and installing ROM onto my Droid this weekend. This reminds me of the days of flashing various OS version/mods onto my trusty old blackberry. :)
  10. mwhartman

Never had a BB so I was not aware you could modify the OS. Prior to my Droid I had an iPhone which I did not jail beak. I've enjoyed my Droid but I've had the most fun after I rooted.

Mike
  11. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

ok, I'm in the same boat far as the question goes; there is an update to one of the roms i'm using and wanted to load the zip to the phone,
    ok, this is where I'm confused; do I go into recover screen and load the zip and just install in by selecting it from the sd folder?
    or
    is there another way, which I tried which is I unzipped the file on my computer and loaded the files in the Rom that I want and put it back to a zip and place it in my sd. I tried but the phone wasn't able to recognize the file so it wasn't showing up as one of my selection.
  12. mwhartman

I'm making an assumption that you are using SPR. If so here are the steps to load a new rom.

1. download the rom from the developers site to your computer
    2. rename the file to "update.zip" make sure there is only one ".zip" file extension
    3. mount your phone to your computer
    4. rename or remove any existing "update.zip" files that are in the root of your SD card
    5. copy the "update.zip" file your created in step 2 to the root of your SD card
    6. unmount your phone
    7. boot into recovery ("X" and power)
    8. make a advanced nandroid backup of your current system
    9. install
    10. install (dec)
    11. reboot

Hope this information is helpful

Mike
Search tags for this page

how to update existing rom

how to upgrade android on an existing rom

update an existing rom