Question about Updates

Reaction score
How is it that no one has figured out how to update without unlocking or rooting?
What is the code or process that Verizon can send that same file we all have access too on Google right now, and they don't have to unlock or root our phones for it to update.

Just a thought I had while debating flashing the update to my phone.

Steve

captdroid

Reaction score
maineultraclassic said:
How is it that no one has figured out how to update without unlocking or rooting?
What is the code or process that Verizon can send that same file we all have access too on Google right now, and they don't have to unlock or root our phones for it to update.

Just a thought I had while debating flashing the update to my phone.

Steve

There is no secret code. Either the process has security rights to update or not. You do not without at least unlocking the device

steveil

Reaction score
OP
maineultraclassic
Reaction score
I know all the methods that are out there for us to do it ourselves.
I was thinking how Verizon/Samsung sends the file to us, it applies itself, and we loose no data and we don't unlock or root anything.

There must be a secret code sent or something with the official OTA, it's too bad no one can't isolate it or duplicate it to save us from loosing everything to unlock and apply the update.

Steve

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I know all the methods that are out there for us to do it ourselves.
I was thinking how Verizon/Samsung sends the file to us, it applies itself, and we loose no data and we don't unlock or root anything.

There must be a secret code sent or something with the official OTA, it's too bad no one can't isolate it or duplicate it to save us from loosing everything to unlock and apply the update.

Steve

I don't think it is so much a secret code, but an app (or multiple) built into the system directory. I could be wrong about this, but this makes sense as there are various apps in the /system partition that seem to be for updates. Without modifying these apps (which probably would be frowned upon), I am not so sure you could update. Note that modifying those apps would probably require root as well.

Another source of speculation, is that it may be possible to update via Odin mode. I am not sure of what it can or can't do, as this is my first Samsung Android device. But if it is anything like an .sbf , which to my understanding it is, then perhaps it is possible.