Question about un-rooting

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
Phone keeps crapping out and Ive tried everything I know. Verizon said they will send me a droid 4 for free so im taking it.

I have to send this one back so I am curious as to how I unroot. If i clear everything, return to non-safe mode, load my non-safe back up and then clear everything again, will that break root?

B

alowbman

Reaction score
What base are you on? If you are on .906 you can use the one-click method by Overlayer. You can find it linked in his posts in the development section.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
What base are you on? If you are on .906 you can use the one-click method by Overlayer. You can find it linked in his posts in the development section.

Im on which ever was before .906 i believe. I got my D3 august last year and rooted and rom'd it with in a month. I have yet to do a VZW OTA, so i dont think im on .906

B

alowbman

Reaction score
Overlayer has an .sbf for both. I believe both are posted in the DROID 3 rom section. Sorry I don't have the link.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
ok. pretty sure i found everything i need.

Im just a little lost, i thought I could just reverse the process that i did to root the phone because I thought pete's root tool (or whatever it is called) came with a 1-click unroot feature

B

alowbman

Reaction score
Pete's doesn't work with 906. Motofail has an unroot option if I recall correctly.

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
ok. I know the phone was on .890 before i rooted but the ROM i have installed is based off .906. So if i went back to non-safe mode and flashed my back up from when I rooted the phone would I be on .890 or .906?

B

OP
BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
so then technically i could wipe, switch to non-safe, restore non-safe backup, use pete root tool to unroot, wipe again (just because) and then OTA to .906 and I would be back to completely stock

B

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I bet update fails, but you might get lucky
best bet is to SBF, and it only takes 10 mins or so