Question about this "LTE On/Off" app

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been reading about this app "LTE On/Off" app, since my Razr Maxx has been going back and forth between 3G and 4G since I went to ICS, so in an effort to save a little bit of battery, I was thinking I would use this app to just keep the Maxx on 3G ... my 4G signal is marginal where I live, despite being in a metropolitan area, and it goes back and forth constantly.

By using this app, can I go from 3G back to 4G if I am in a good area? Or does the app keep the phone on 3G only? Can I still get 4G?

Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you select CDMA auto prl, it will hold 3g, the you switch it Back to lte/CDMA/evdo when you want 4g.. or 4g only.. lte only I mean.. I don't use this mode so ymmv on lte only

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you select CDMA auto prl, it will hold 3g, the you switch it Back to lte/CDMA/evdo when you want 4g.. or 4g only.. lte only I mean.. I don't use this mode so ymmv on lte only

My front door is my 3G/4G toggle switch ... since my apartment has solid concrete walls. The phone goes back and forth when I'm inside ... so it has to be using battery. So I can just toggle back to 4G when I leave home?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah, there's also an app called 4g toggle or something like that.. its just a widget on your screen I believe.. and you can easily toggle back n forth. You might try that?

I know what you mean about living in a so so 4g area... it sucks your battery down fast.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, there's also an app called 4g toggle or something like that.. its just a widget on your screen I believe.. and you can easily toggle back n forth. You might try that?

I know what you mean about living in a so so 4g area... it sucks your battery down fast.

I live in Charlotte, NC ... about 30 miles north actually. I can get 4G fine outside my apartment, and even better 4G when I leave and go somewhere. In the mall that's 10 miles away, I can get 18 down and 8 up on Speed Test. But at home it's 5 or 6 down and 1 or 2 up ... and it goes back and forth on my phone. I guess I'm just in one of those "marginal areas". So I figure if I keep it on 3G while I'm at home, and toggle back to 4G when I go somewhere, it should save at least a little bit of battery. I was just making sure I could toggle back and forth, I didn't want to lock it on 3g :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I downloaded it, and set it for GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

When I want to go back to 4G, which one of these is best?

LTE/CDMA/EvDo

LTE/GSM/WCDMA

LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA

LTE Only

LTE/WCDMA

I'm a little confuzzled by all those choices LOL :blink:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Lte/CDMA/evdo. And your situation is similar to mine... great 4g all around you.. so so where you're at..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No problem :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Interesting observation ...

I went outside to take my dog out. Did a Speed Test with it locked on 3G, with pretty sad results LOL ... 1.5 down and 500 kbps up ... no big deal.

I opened a weather radar bookmark that I have saved in Dolphin Browser. Still opened pretty speedy.

Opened a couple news apps, Fox News and USA Today, and a local news app. All opened pretty quick. But I noticed that under the 3G on the notifications bar, the arrows that show connectivity up and down were not lighting up, even though the 3G was blue and internet was working fine.

So I opened up LTE On/Off, and went back to 4G. Worked fine, the same apps opened fine, and I did a 4G Speed Test, and got 7 down and 2.5 up. And the connectivity arrows lit up. Went back to 3G only, and everything still worked fine, but the connectivity arrows still didn't light up on the notification bar. No biggie, everything still works fine, but the little arrows don't light up. Just thought that was kinda odd.

But hey, it works. :biggrin:

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Still haven't figured out why the connectivity arrows don't light up, but the app works. Anyone else have this experience? :blink:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yep, my 3&4g will go white, and my arrows will stop working. But it still works :( after my last fdr, I haven't experienced this... strange..

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep, my 3&4g will go white, and my arrows will stop working. But it still works :( after my last fdr, I haven't experienced this... strange..

Yeah that's what's weird, it works, and I can already see a noticeable difference in the battery, almost 3 hours with several phone calls and market updates and some texting, and I am still at 95% on my battery widget ... and the phone still reads 100% ... I can do without the little arrows, but I just happened to notice. I'm OCD about my phone LOL :blink:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
:rofl2: I am too!!! Lmao..