Question about theming with MM

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Dr01d, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

I decided I wanted to create my own button for HelixLaunxher 2 and use MM to apply it. I really knew nothing about the process and,frankly, I was struggling. I thought that if I could find a MM theme that worked already maybe I could just modify that, so that's what I did. I found a thread on XDA that had several and grabbed one and had a go at it.

There were two sticking points that I had to overcome and I want to make sure what I did is OK to do.

The first was that the instructions said my app needed to be installed to the statement/app directory but it was not. It was in the data/app directory so I just used Root Explorer to move it.

Second, the app had to be named HelixLauncher2 and it was called com.heluxsomesuch.etc so I just renamed it.

The theme installed perfectly and I was able to modify the files I wanted and really apply the theme to get exactly the look I wanted but is OK to move the location of a working app like that and modify the name?

Thanks for the help. Just learning. :)
  2. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

Can't seem to edit posts here with my Droid. That should read that I moved the app from the data/app folder to the SYSTEM/app folder. Not statement /app.
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

If it is working, then probably ok. I do the same, but I find it easier to rename the file in the metamorph theme file.

The only "problem" I am having with moving apps from system to data is that I am unsure if this breaks the market update process. I track helix on XDA to keep abreast of whether or not a new market (or repository) file is available just to be sure. Perhaps my reply and bump will allow someone who knows definativley whether market update is broken to clarify.

Craig
  4. RoLa

RoLa New Member

5. nphil

nphil New Member

Yep, it's perfectly okay to move the file like this from /data to /system/app. Just remember to apply chmod 644 and sync, reboot. Android apk files have all the class files and other resources included inside the apk, so when you "install" an app, all you're doing is just copying the APK over to your data partition.
  6. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Yes, by moving the app to the system it will break updates to it.
  7. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

OK, thank you guys for all the help!