question about the screen

What316

Reaction score
I went into Verizon today to get the bionic and came out with only my OG Droid still in my pocket. I'm sorry, but the screen is horrible. Maybe i'm being picky, but if i'm spending that much on a phone, it should have todays technology...Not 1985 Nintendo technology. That's what I thought of when I looked at it, old school NES. (I know qHD is todays technology, I was just saying ;-) lol) The phone next to it (charge) put the bionic to shame...screen wise.

That's my opinion, obviously it's a personal preference though :). I will say that it is a beast! Everything was snappy and felt great holding it. Definitely not a cheap plastic feeling. Dam that pentile screen! Oh well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

alboboy10

Reaction score
take the phone out into direct sunlight and then tell us what you think about the screen.

Ye but look at it in the dark lol. I mainly use my phone when I'm home. In the street when there's a lot of light my thunderbolt doesn't look great but in the dark my tb looks way better than my girlfriends atrix which is pentile. I thought it wasn't bad when I first saw it but I think having that phone for too long would make me hate it cause of the screen. Its nothing special. The blue on the 4g when I saw it at the store was HORRIBLE, the green on the battery was terrible u can actuallly see the pixels extending outside of the battery gage.

billyk

Reaction score
I am way picky about displays and I asked a million questions over the past few months about pentile vs. super amoled plus on this forum. Thanks for everyone's patience!

I got the Bionic on release day and am very impressed! Looking at everything on the market, I have to say that there are no "one best" displays. The amoled looks over-saturated and unrealistic, and it's virtually unreadable outside. The pentile screen on the Bionic has super whites and presents razor-sharp text. If I really look closely for pixelization in the greens, I can see it. Then, I get back to using the Bionic at a normal reading distance and I don't perceive that characteristic any longer. I'd have no issue bringing it back if I found the display anything less than amazing.

And as said above, take it outside, in any type of sunlight, and compare it to any other phone. It is not a subtle difference under those conditions.

All variables considered, nothing comes close to the Bionic display, for me. Just choose what works for you!

DoctorV

Reaction score
I was at a football game today with my buddy at noon and it was bright and sunny out. He has a Droid Charge with a samoled screen and I have a Bionic. His screen was completely pitch black whereas my screen was completely readable. I can confirm first hand that the reports of the screen are true.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Super amoled is over saturated and fake. The best screens in the market now in my opinion are on HTC phones. They're not that great in the sun but its not a deal breaker for me. Grainy screens are. And I personally can notice the grainy screen from far as well. You can tell on the blue part where the 4g sign is, the battery, etc...

The new phones in a month like the vigor are going to have amazing 720p screens. Can't wait.

billyk

Reaction score
Super amoled is over saturated and fake. The best screens in the market now in my opinion are on HTC phones. They're not that great in the sun but its not a deal breaker for me. Grainy screens are. And I personally can notice the grainy screen from far as well. You can tell on the blue part where the 4g sign is, the battery, etc...

The new phones in a month like the vigor are going to have amazing 720p screens. Can't wait.

I am with you on your points - I really like HTC phones. I was mostly convinced just recently to wait for the Vigor as well.

The the points that made me pull the trigger on the Bionic v waiting for Vigor were that the Vigor could easily be bumped to later this year, delays are legendary in this industry. Next, HTC has great screens, but a very bad rep for battery life (Incredible, TB, EVO; on and on...). Match that with the other added plus for pentile which is improved battery life and it's like a double whammy.j My Bionic is enjoying 15 hours of battery life with frequent use throughout the day.

So, as I said above there really appears to be no "one best" way to go for everyone. Every option has some downsides.

Reaction score
95 percent of the people complaining about the screen wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the forum and tech blogging Nazis that crucified the technology. I don't notice it much at all, and when I do, it's only because I've almost ripped my eyes out scouring through the pentile haters threads.

Go to the store and see for yourself, you don't like it? Gtfo and wait for the prime (not meant to be directed @ the op)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jspencer67

Reaction score
luckily I dont see anything like that because I guess I dont look for it

I think the screen looks great

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I am a certified, bonified, registered and card carrying member of the "tehnogeek eye candy brigade". Only with hdtv displays though. I've spent countless hours tweaking out all the TVs in the house with some pretty nice results. Wanna see some guys and gals get twisted about the axle over some screen issues? Check out avs forums. Ive seen 60 inch 1080p lcd panels returned for 1 stuck pixel in the bottom corner. Aint no telling how close you'd have to get to see it. I'd probably be really concerned about the pentile screen if it weren't fot the fact that I wear contacts to see far off (20/20 though) and pretty strong reading glasses to see my phone or tablet. The only time I will notice the screen door will be at night when my contacts are out and my bionic is 3 inches away from my face playing word up or angry birds.

At 51 my hearing and vision aren't what they used to be. Geting old sucks but it beats the alternative. :)

Abadus

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like a perceived quality issue. For $300 the phone should not be pixalated. It really sucks. My upgrade is next month, so I will have to check it out for myself soon. We can hope that there are some UI tweaks in the future that will clean this up. Could it be that They are stretching a 3.7in UI to fit a 4.3in screen and causing the pixalation? Maybe they will be a fix in the future.

MoEvil

Reaction score
Do you have a screen protector installed?
I had a problem with my screen looking fuzzy and pixelated compared to demo in store and my wife's new bionic.. turns out I had the anti-glare screen protector installed, took it back to the store for a quick switch to the standard screen protector and now the screen is awesome.

Arius1

Reaction score
Technically isn't the gorilla glass supposed to help with anti glare and scratches? I haven't been able to find much on it.

Also I traded in my Droid charge for the bionic. Super Amoled is by far the best from Samsung. I think the bionic is next with qHD. HTC I personally don't like because they are terrible when sunlight.

Stingray71

Reaction score
Technically isn't the gorilla glass supposed to help with anti glare and scratches?

Yes, and based on my experience with my Xoom, it's tough stuff. I removed the plastic protector on my Otterbox, screen looks much better without it. Chalk me up as a happy customer, I'm just not seeing the screen issues. I've only got my wife's iPhone 4 to compare it to though. I think people are splitting hairs.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I dont know why people insist on using screen protectors.
I had my OG Droid for 13 months and it was completely naked and lived in my front pocket the entire time.
It looked brand new when I upgraded to my DX.

The DX was also naked in the same front pocket.. not a single scratch.

Gorilla Glass is awesome. Unless you have loose diamonds in your pocket the screen should be fine as long as you dont drop your phone or toss it against a brick wall.

Not to mention it's been confirmed the Anti-Glare protectors actually blur the display... probably due to the fact the qHD screen has it's own anti-glare layers built in

Reaction score
I dont know why people insist on using screen protectors.
I had my OG Droid for 13 months and it was completely naked and lived in my front pocket the entire time.
It looked brand new when I upgraded to my DX.

The DX was also naked in the same front pocket.. not a single scratch.

Gorilla Glass is awesome. Unless you have loose diamonds in your pocket the screen should be fine as long as you dont drop your phone or toss it against a brick wall.

Not to mention it's been confirmed the Anti-Glare protectors actually blur the display... probably due to the fact the qHD screen has it's own anti-glare layers built in

I had my og for two years mostly with a screen protector, my last insurance replacement i didn't have a protector and scratched it in two places... Gorilla glass or not i learned my lesson