Question about the Kernel that ships with the OTA 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Aug 12, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

I was running the 2.2 that leaked a couple weeks...months ago. Everything is so blurry I can't remmeber how long we have had this thing...LOL

So I originally installed the frf8** file and used a P3 800 mhz kernel. Everything was smokin!

I updated to the FRG22 file when it hit the forums. When I did that install I assumed it did not over write the kernel cuz I was still over clocked to 800 mhz.

Then I updated (downdated) to FRG01b (the big file that was moddified by Jrummy) and the same thing...still had an OC of 800 mhz. But the kernel noted in the build.prop file is the same kernel that shipped to the OTA update. So either my build.prop is not reproting the correct kernel or the kernel that shipped OTA is allowing OC.

I assume to get this OC ability one has to be rooted and have SetCPU installed...both of which I am. Can anyone confirm that simply rooting and installing SetCPU allows us to OC to 800 mhz now? Maybe someone who has never installed a custom kernel that can attempt to just root and install SetCPU?

Also...is there a way to confirm what kernel I am actually using other than {settings}{about phone}? Maybe a file name I can look at to see if it is actually running the old P3 kernel or the new one that came from Vz?

Nate
  2. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Really...no one knows?

Nate
  3. D-phone

D-phone New Member

First time posting. Just to let you know I just installed setcpu on a rooted motor Droid without changing the kernel and it did let me overclock. I have BB0.4 installed and setcpu worked flawlessly. Thanks for the idea. I was wanting to install a kernel and this works for me.
  4. googlelover

googlelover New Member

Yes, they added a 800mhz kernel, most people are guessing its because adobe said arm7 processors have to run at 800mhz at least to run flash
  5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Well...that is good news. So I am likely running the stock kernel. 125 to 800 is exactly what I wanted anyhow. Funny how at the end of the day...Vz, Moto and Google seem to figure out what the majority of us want and they deliver it. Just makes me love Android even more now. I think I just wet myself.

Nate