Question about the camera problem

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by XMasterMoronX, Nov 10, 2009.

1. XMasterMoronX

XMasterMoronX New Member

im trying to convince my parents to let me get the droid very very very soon. But i am starting to become nervous because a lot of the people on the site and elsewhere are saying that the camera doesnt work right.

Can someone tell me in moderate detail what is actually the problem with the phone? If there is the problem, is it a phone problem or a software problem?(will getting another droid exchanged fix the problem)

thanks for any responses

i usually don't like using post icons but wth lol
  2. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 New Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

Basically the issue is relatively simple. The autofocus, and in general, the camera tends to be on the crap side. From what I understand the auto focus being extremely slow to focus is a software issue, not inherent with the hardware and as the previous poster stated, an update should be out from Motorola next month.

Even with the problems now, the camera is still usable and the pictures aren't horrific, just bad for a 5 MP camera. The phone is still worth every penny so far.
  4. wallstreet123456

I agree with the above posters comments.
  5. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy New Member

camera

People keep talking about the camera, why?... your buying a cell phone that takes a decent photo indoors, and a great photo outdoors. I wish it did take a better photo indoors, but it doesn't, so if i really need to take indoor photos, i'll use a camera.

Maybe verizon can fix it, does anyone know exactly what the problem is what the camera, why it snaps grainy 5 mp photos indoors.
  6. JhankG

JhankG New Member

My Droid gets the green corners most of the time and the pictures have turned out just fine. Once the update is released next month, the whole camera issue probably won't be mentioned anymore. If you decide against buying the Droid, don't let the camera be the reason!
  7. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy New Member

My Droid gets the green corners most of the time and the pictures have turned out just fine. Once the update is released next month, the whole camera issue probably won't be mentioned anymore. If you decide against buying the Droid, don't let the camera be the reason!
    END QUOTE

So it is a software problem, not mechanical/design
  8. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

The issue is that the camera is being compared to the iPhone 3GS and was advertised as a better camera, and one that could take good quality indoor pictures, and the truth is that currently it does not. True, I could bring my camera along with me, but if I have a 5 MP camera it should at least take good enough pictures so that they wont look grainy on a 3.7" screen.

The autofocus is a completely different issue, and one that a simple code fix will take care of next month. Hell it may resolve all the problems. But the fact that my phone takes 6-10 seconds to get into the app, and then another 4-5 seconds to focus and take the picture, and THEN come out with a shitty picture, is inexcusable. I mean, if the AF took 4 seconds to focus and then spat back and incredible pic, noone would complain. Fact of the matter is, that's just not the case.
  9. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

I've taken quite a few pictures and green corners or red corners I think the camera works fine. I've been pleasantly surprised with both my Droid and my brothers (both cameras work fine) -- Are they perfect? Certainly not, and hopefully an update can improve them even more. However, if the update never came out I'd still be happy. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones... or I'm not as picky.
  10. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

Don't get me wrong now, I love nearly everything about this phone. I seriously haven't had so much fun, or enjoyed a phone this much since the original iPhone. The camera problem is one of a select few that I actually take issue with, but it certainly doesn't make or break the phone.
  11. ZeRo_C0oL

ZeRo_C0oL New Member

It's been spotty for me. I've had my share of shitty grainy pictures, but I also took a small handful of pictures that I was pretty blown away by. Most of the time they don't appear grainy on the screen, but they do when you view the full sized image on a computer.
  12. namelessNN

namelessNN New Member

i'm not worrying about it. for now, the camera takes decent pix and i'm sure it's something they can tweak and fix with updates.
  13. rosedith

rosedith New Member

Try changing the settings. I set mine to 2mp and fine instead of superfine. I'm in a rather dark basement right now. I'm getting red borders but the pix are not grainy. 5mp is too big for most use anyway.
  14. wallstreet123456

Where do you go in order to change those settings?
  15. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

I am still wondering if there is in fact some hardware issues. I have yet to know for sure if there is supposed to be minor clicking while it focuses? Some say no, but I thought the same thing until I went in a VERY quiet environment and then took some picts. Definite clicking when it attempts to focus.
  16. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

I think that is normal. Everyone has the clicking which is the lens moving. I have played with over 12 phones, owned 3 different ones, and they all have that clicking.
  17. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

Good. Thanks. Not sweating the focus issues, although they need to fix it. Just wanted to make sure mine was not defective hardware wise.
  18. bucsfann20

bucsfann20 New Member

i have no idea

what happened between the last time i played with the camera and today, but it works perfectly now. it used to have the red corners every single time, and would never pick up barcode from any type of scanner. and now, it locks in a second and pictures just focus so easily.

with that being said, does anyone have any idea why this would happen!?

its outrageous! ;)
  19. Droider

Droider New Member

After reading this thread I tried mine out again and had the same experience. For the first week, any time I tried to take a picture with the autofocus turned on, I would get the red corners for 19 out of 20 attempts. Now I can't get a red corners for the life of me. Every time is now green corners. It still takes crap quality, grainy (noise ridden) pics at indoor, night-time lighting levels but the autofocus is working.
  20. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

The focus fix posted in stickies works. That being said, I still believe if is to prone to camera shake or something. With flash, green focus lights and very steady it is still slow shutter or something. Hopefully they will address. And yes, I own the Canon 7D and use it as my man camera, I just expected more having used other phone cameras.
Search tags for this page
android camera grainy

droid pictures grainy

my pictures from motorola droid4 are grainy