Question about the 2.2 update

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Alexeon, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Alexeon

Alexeon New Member

I know the official OTA is out and was wondering if its been rooted. I currently have 2.1 Root but no custom ROMs or anything like that. Id like to keep root access to be able to tether (without paying retarded fees for a product Im already paying for once.) I was running a rooted 2.2 leak earlier but my phone's screen died and I got my new one in the mail. I guess I could reinstall the leak again but if the official version is out, wouldnt it be ideal to have that with root access?

Thanks for the help.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

If you go to this link here you will find a way to obtain a signed copy of 2.2 that will allow you to stay rooted without having any custom ROM. This is what I'm running now.
  3. Alexeon

Alexeon New Member

So I use that file to install it like any other update.zip and it will give me 2.2 with root? Will that let me keep my applications and settings (ringtone, etc) or do I have to go and reset everything again?

Thanks.
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

For a safer and more trouble free outcome, you should do a wipe. After installing and then re-signing into your Google account, wait a few minutes BEFORE you do much else to it (best if done on WiFi). Then soon you'll see in your notification bar "xx applications restored". Then you will have to reset your ringers, though.

good luck
  5. Alexeon

Alexeon New Member

Cool. Ill probably do that tonight, then. Thanks for the help.