question about stock sourcery kernel: tun support?

techRob

Reaction score
I was just looking into possibly fiddling with using VPN to my works network (which uses cisco vpn). I was reading that the kernel in use needed to have "tun support" on it.

I was wondering if you know if the stock Sourcery kernel has that or not? Or if anyone can recommend a good kernel to switch to that does?

This isn't vital, but would be uber nice to be able to do (sometimes it's just simpler to whip the phone out, remote to a Tech computer, and reset a password, from where ever i happened to be - as opposed to dragging out the laptop, connecting the vzw air card, etc.. .etc.. or driving home to do it).

All help, advice, (opinions?) are welcome and appreciated. :)

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
I was just looking into possibly fiddling with using VPN to my works network (which uses cisco vpn). I was reading that the kernel in use needed to have "tun support" on it.

I was wondering if you know if the stock Sourcery kernel has that or not? Or if anyone can recommend a good kernel to switch to that does?

This isn't vital, but would be uber nice to be able to do (sometimes it's just simpler to whip the phone out, remote to a Tech computer, and reset a password, from where ever i happened to be - as opposed to dragging out the laptop, connecting the vzw air card, etc.. .etc.. or driving home to do it).

All help, advice, (opinions?) are welcome and appreciated. :)

I dont see tun.ko so i am think no.

Im pretty sure p3 has that with his module add on's not sure if slayher does or not .
probably cm kernels do just have to play around i think. unless someone here has done what you are trying to do-if so please chirp in :)

I could chagne the stock kernel of course but its very easy to do and i prefer to have the stable and safe kernel that we use.

OP
techRob

techRob

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Eagle. I would say stick with the stable kernel too, especially since "the end user" can still go in tweak things ;)

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Um don't know much about the whole vpn stuff but the way you described it sounds just like vnc so i guess they're similar. I have set up on my phone vnc connections to three of my computers. It lets me pull the screen on to my droid and use the computer as if i was there and it works over 3g. If that's kind of what you're going for send me a pm and i can help you get that all set up

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Told you i had some work for school i had to get done my breaks getting close to being over ha i really need to get my school stuff done if i get it done at a reasonable time i'll be on to help but i did get you the script you asked for

OP
techRob

techRob

Reaction score
LOL you two are great :) ...
gflam - more or less that will be the end game. Here's the catch; I want to use it with my work network. We use the cisco vpn system. It's a royal pain in the butt, because I have only found one app that was capable of establishing the connection. Cisco uses a very secure method of connection I believe. It's a little more than a vnc (remote desktop connection). Thank you for your offer of assistance though :)

...the network guys (my co-workers) aren't too much help, because we don't officially support droids, and they like to give me a hard time about things - and are mostly pro iphone....or at least they flip me crap and act like they are.