Question about sbf'ing?

chrisl20

Reaction score
In the end of the sbf you have to manually restart the phone...how do you propose you do that without batt pull

biknut1

Reaction score
Sbf

In the end of the sbf you have to manually restart the phone...how do you propose you do that without batt pull

Believe it or not but I SBF'ed my phone a couple of weekends ago and did not do the battery pull. I was watching some other stuff when I started it and I did not put it into Bootloader- it did it automatically. When it was finished I wasn't paying attention, and it rebooted my phone automatically. When I finished, Fission's logo was gone and that ugly, evil red thing they call an eye was back so I know it worked. Maybe the new version does it for you?

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score

Believe it or not but I SBF'ed my phone a couple of weekends ago and did not do the battery pull. I was watching some other stuff when I started it and I did not put it into Bootloader- it did it automatically. When it was finished I wasn't paying attention, and it rebooted my phone automatically. When I finished, Fission's logo was gone and that ugly, evil red thing they call an eye was back so I know it worked. Maybe the new version does it for you?

Ok now were getting somewhere that's what mine did but I thought it had problems going back to 2.4.29 cache so essentially it should have bootlooped the phone. The reason for my concern is because it always has so to me that was the norm. And what new version? You mean red lite, im pretty sure 4.9 is just 4.9 :) could you clarify?

chrisl20

Reaction score
I don't think so...(as far as newer stuff or whatever)...I believe that maybe entering bootloader mode manually is what may have had me manually restart my phone and enter bootloader mode again, then plug it back in to pc to finish...well...there is a way to test this theory out....I can sbf my phone again without going into bootloader mode on my own, and if that still makes me restart on my own, I will send you a copy of my rsdlite and sbf, and u will send me a copy of urs, then we will try again....process of elimination guys...we will figure this out :)

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
That was horribly confusing..... ..but, from what I got...I think...is, you THINK you sbfd your phone, but ur wondering why you still have ur custom boot logo... ..u didn't sbf, it would be gone....sbf w rsdlite, then enter stock recovery, wipe reboot, done... ..and I know for a fact this reverts stock logo..I sbf'd two days ago again..so.. I would guess you didn't correctly...but I could be wrong...but, I think its 99% more likely that the sbf failed at some point or another, by whatever means

Thats not true. I have SBFed many times on this phone and it did not erase my custom boot animations or backgrounds sometimes. Sometimes it did but not always. However once I did the wipe, then everything weas back to stock.

@CowboyCombat, you dont have to do the battery pull in my experience. Just let it flash, and then when it boots up you can pull the USB cable, or pull it after you power off. Then you can just boot in to the stock recovery and do a wipe.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Why would u sbf without doing a wipe?....isn't that kind of like taking a sh*t and not wiping after

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
That was horribly confusing..... ..but, from what I got...I think...is, you THINK you sbfd your phone, but ur wondering why you still have ur custom boot logo... ..u didn't sbf, it would be gone....sbf w rsdlite, then enter stock recovery, wipe reboot, done... ..and I know for a fact this reverts stock logo..I sbf'd two days ago again..so.. I would guess you didn't correctly...but I could be wrong...but, I think its 99% more likely that the sbf failed at some point or another, by whatever means

Thats not true. I have SBFed many times on this phone and it did not erase my custom boot animations or backgrounds sometimes. Sometimes it did but not always. However once I did the wipe, then everything weas back to stock.

@CowboyCombat, you dont have to do the battery pull in my experience. Just let it flash, and then when it boots up you can pull the USB cable, or pull it after you power off. Then you can just boot in to the stock recovery and do a wipe.

Ok so lets say for all intents and purposes I don't pull the batt. after sbf wouldnt it leave the device in version conflict since the phone still boots with all settings in place yet the version has changed after the sbf? I only ask because everything works as it should (which would normally be fine and dandy) but I'm just wondering what exactly the sbf truly does. And since we call it a wipe is it even really a full device wipe or just somethings. My main theory is that when you wipe an os off a pc using tools such a dariks boot n nuke it wipes everything on the machine with no trace of anything. Is that not what sbfing does?To me its seems that no oone person has the 100% verizon/moto official sbf process everyone has different ways of doing it and I wanted to find that out really. :)

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I have tried asking the same question actually and still have no answer. I had a Moto Backflip for about 1.5 years before I got my D2G last month. SBF flashes are not knew to me and something I did quite a few times on the Bflip due to errors I created trying to mod my device. When you loaded up RSD Lite, you selected that SBF, and you hit start, you better believe there wont be ANY traces of ANYTHING PRIOR left on that phone. With the D2G, as you know, battery pull or not, we do need to do a wipe data/factory reset after an SBF. My question to is WHY? Why isnt RSD Lite wiping the phone 100% clean and then flashing the SBF file? I suspect, and this is just my educated guess, that perhaps RSD Lite is bugged and it is not doing a proper wipe of the phone before it flashes the SBF file. When was the last version of RSD Lite released? Before the D2G? On second thought, maybe it has soemthing to do with the bootstrap because surpisingly ATT did not have Moto lock the bootloader on that phone(but yet they completely removed the option to install apps from non-market sources. Regardless, hopefully some one with more knowledge can shed some insight on the situation.