Question about sbf'ing?

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Hi again. I feel bad posting so often but hey just trying to learn. :) So I have been trying to figure out sbf'ing, and first off what is the exact method/order in which the process should take place? And also why does the official Droid 2 Global sbf file 2.4.29 details state that it is a 4G Platform when clearly this is not a 4G device? Please help a.s.a.p. so I can move along.dancedroid

chevytough

Reaction score
not much i can help u with other than i flashed the global sbf last night and worked just fine.

chrisl20

Reaction score
You need, tbh's d2g sbf file(downloaded on pc). Rsdlite 4.9(on pc also). Correct drivers for your phone, also on pc... plug in your phone to ur computer, put it into bootloader mode...restarting while holding up arrow(hardkey on slideout keyboard) or by holding both the up and down volume keys(on side of phone) and THEN power ur phone on...load the sbf file in rsdlite from wherever u downloaded it to...hit start in rsdlite, and let it do its thing....afterwords it will say, "manually power up phone" unplug ur phone, but leave rsdlite running....restart your phone nto bootloader mode again, and plug it back in...shortly after it will finish and you can unplug your phone safely, do so...and restart your phone again, this time holding the X button on your slide out keyboard, then the search button (magnifying glass to the left of@ sign on keyboard) wipe the cache and start it up(may have to do factory wipe and cache, don't remember)..the initial startup may take a min...but you will have to reactivate the phone to your service provider...if its verizon* 228 and hit 1 after u connect....if it brings up "hit one to make a collect call, 2 to put minutes on w credit card" pull your battery for 30 seconds, then start it up and call activation again, hope this helps man...sorry if its too late...but, there's a ton of threads on this, so...someone probly lead u n the right direction..

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Sorry still waiting on the answer about the 4G Device Platform thing in RSD Lite. I dont wanna sbf my phone with the wrong file. And also why am I being told that RSD has to run in administartor mode? I hate asking so many questions but considering I dont have the deep pockets to get another device I want to make sure I'm getting all the right info and the right steps.

sid_wisc

Reaction score
Sorry still waiting on the answer about the 4G Device Platform thing in RSD Lite. I dont wanna sbf my phone with the wrong file. And also why am I being told that RSD has to run in administartor mode? I hate asking so many questions but considering I dont have the deep pockets to get another device I want to make sure I'm getting all the right info and the right steps.

chrisl20 gave you the whole outline as how to do the SBF... this is all that is required.

And to answer your question about 4G, D2G is not currently a 4G phone as we all know and I do not believe that it could be used as one (don't count on it though). i believe RSD has to be run as an administrator on your computer that is higher than XP (vista or win7) probably because you are changing something significant on your phone and Motorola (where the RSD is from) wants you to be doing it in that mode.

By the way all the info and the files that are required could be found here or here

kickyindahead

Reaction score

chrisl20 gave you the whole outline as how to do the SBF... this is all that is required.

And to answer your question about 4G, D2G is not currently a 4G phone as we all know and I do not believe that it could be used as one (don't count on it though). i believe RSD has to be run as an administrator on your computer that is higher than XP (vista or win7) probably because you are changing something significant on your phone and Motorola (where the RSD is from) wants you to be doing it in that mode.

By the way all the info and the files that are required could be found here or here

just like Sid says .. use this link

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/112313-official-d2g-sbf-tbh.html

dont worry about it saying 4g device platform .. ive sbf'd my phone countless times and it says the same thing on my rsd screen .. my phone works flawlessly ... most o the time :icon_eek:

wildbill86

Reaction score
So if I'm running windows xp I just simply open rsd lite. Nothing special?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

chrisl20

Reaction score
Correct....open it...find the sbf file, plug ur phone in...make sure its in bootloader mode...hit start after making sure ur laptop and phone r connected and talking...and wait...and wait....and follow the rest of my instructions up top

wildbill86

Reaction score
ok, one more question, do i just load the 251 megabyte zipped sbf folder into rsd lite, or do i unzipp in windows, and load the 457 Mb .sbf file?

sid_wisc

Reaction score
ok, one more question, do i just load the 251 megabyte zipped sbf folder into rsd lite, or do i unzipp in windows, and load the 457 Mb .sbf file?

unzip the folder and just use the SBF file...
Once again an overview of the whole thing.....
*Make sure to have the latest drivers from motorola
*Run RSD as an administrator on your computer
*start the phone in boot menu (turn off phone, start it while pressing volume button up and down togather 'OR' start while holding the top arrow on physical keyboard)
*open RSD make sure that your phone shows in there
*click ... button and select the unzipped sbf file
*click start and let it do what it is supposed to do.
* restart phone after the process is done while holding the X button on physical keyboard and then press magnifying glass on the physical keyboard
*wipe data and cache
***** YOU ARE NOW IN 'OUT OF THE BOX' CONDITION!!!!!!!

n'JOY

keolawills

Reaction score
The op says you need the correct drivers for your phone as well, but never says anything about installing them. Does it automatically install them for you if you download them, or are they included in the sbf.zip?

sent from my FENOMENAL D2G

chrisl20

Reaction score
The drivers can be found on the motorola website...or by downloading pdanet on ur pc and phone...that's what I use...its quickest and hasn't failed me...motorola has too much b.s. on their website and honestly, everytime I've tried downloading from there I've had nothing but trouble

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Ok quick question if someone can answer it'd be great. Is there an absolute need to do a battery pull after an sbf flash at the Motorola Batwings logo if your device absolutely does not bootloop, and if so why? The reason I ask is because a thought occured to me (please hear me out). When I last did an sbf flash on my D2G my phone doesn't bootloop, it does what it does and then boots to my dashboard or whatever it's called these days. But what was odd was that if an sbf flashes your device why is my phone booting with all my custom settings (wouldnt a flash wipe it of all contents and os software or are we using the term flash very loosley?) I followed Android Raw's tutorial and everything went great. I also understand that afterwards I manually powered down and then boot back into bootloader that I need to power down once again unplug and then wipe data cache and factory reset which I do like normal thats fine. My thing is I'm worried that by letting rsd lite do it's thing without the battery pull that it actually didnt wipe anything if that makes any sense. Is it leaving remnants of the previous os/and settings. Bottom line is do I need to pull battery at the M or is it ok to let it boot and then power off and wipe? If i've confused you im sorry im just a knowledge consuming machine and if so just state that you need clarification. Thank you very much.
dancedroid

chrisl20

Reaction score
That was horribly confusing..... ..but, from what I got...I think...is, you THINK you sbfd your phone, but ur wondering why you still have ur custom boot logo... ..u didn't sbf, it would be gone....sbf w rsdlite, then enter stock recovery, wipe reboot, done... ..and I know for a fact this reverts stock logo..I sbf'd two days ago again..so.. I would guess you didn't correctly...but I could be wrong...but, I think its 99% more likely that the sbf failed at some point or another, by whatever means

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
No no no. I wasn't on a custom rom. My question was merely why do I hear all this talk of battery pulling after the sbf is complete but if you watch the video posted by android raw on the tbh official d2g sbf page, he along with myself didnt not have to batt pull. I never bootlooped and neither did he. I keep hearing about something that the 2.4.330 cache doesnt match up with 2.4.29's and thats why it causes it to loop. I was on 2.4.330 and sbf'd to 2.4.29 but i didnt bootloop. Why is that? I just wanted to know the 100% correct/verizon way to sbf back to stock. Do I battery pull or not? I also have the TBH app if that helps.