Question about rooting

EsotericOCP

Reaction score
Greetings, i'm new to all of this, Rooting, etc.. I would like to root my phone but i noticed that there are different ways to root if you have the Droid 1, 2 or X. I'm not sure what kind i have, i know for a fact i dont have the X. How do i know if i have the Droid 1 or 2? Sorry for the dumb questions. I updated my phone to 2.2 (Second update) and running on FRG22D. And it slides open and has a D-Pad. Id that information helps, what kind of droid do i have? and i would appreciate it if you could kindly point me to the right method, by giving me a link to a tutorial and info. thanks!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If u updated your phone twice I assume you have the Droid 1. Also you can go into settings and under about phone it should tell you the model number.

If you have the Droid 1, you can follow link 3 in my sig to root it.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Sent from my phone... which happens to be a Droid X

OP
E

EsotericOCP

Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it! for the model number, it just says "Droid" I'm assuming thats the Droid 1 right? Yes, when i purchased my phone from Verizon, it had 2.1, but then i updated it to 2.1, then a couple weeks later installed the second part of the update. So by using your instructions on link 3, i should be able to root it fine right? without loosing any contact info, txts, etc? Thanks again!

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I thought I heard D2 doesn't have a Dpad.. I would also think you have a D1 based on the descrip. I can't see his sig but I rooted mine using the link in my sig (it may also link to the same thread) about rooting your droid regardless of OS. Welcome to the rooted club! (Once you do it lol)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
E

EsotericOCP

Reaction score
I just Rooted my phone! I'm pretty excited. Thanks to Abe 21599 to pointing me in the right direction, and to MotoCache1 for his incredible Post.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
For anyone else reading...if you have a D-pad on your keyboard, you have a Droid 1...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For anyone else reading...if you have a D-pad on your keyboard, you have a Droid 1...

And if it is black instead of blue. Black with gold grill is d1, blue with silver speaker grill on the back then it is a d2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Droid 1

motorola-droid-site2.jpg

droid 2

droid2-1.jpg

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Thanks for clarifying that, I thought I heard right.