question about rooting

TheGoodKid

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question. I have the Galaxy S3 now but would like to play around with my old Droid X. I had it rooted previously but never tried any ROMs or anything. The first time I rooted it was the easy "1-click" method. Everything I'm reading now says Gingerbread (2.3.4 version 4.5.621) is much more complicated to root. If I do a factory reset will that take the Droid X back to I guess Froyo so I can root it much easier?

leftspin

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question. I have the Galaxy S3 now but would like to play around with my old Droid X. I had it rooted previously but never tried any ROMs or anything. The first time I rooted it was the easy "1-click" method. Everything I'm reading now says Gingerbread (2.3.4 version 4.5.621) is much more complicated to root. If I do a factory reset will that take the Droid X back to I guess Froyo so I can root it much easier?

A factory reset will only delete all your user data (apps, app data, accounts, etc), it will not flash it to an earlier build. You are correct that 4.5.621 is a bit complicated, so to root it you will need to flash the phone back to an earlier Gingerbread version that is rootable. 4.5.621 also prevents you from flashing back to earlier Droid X builds, so you'll need to flash a Milestone X (non-Verizon Droid X) version of the software before you can root.

This guide should be useful to you: [Guide] Stock unrooted 621 (or bricked) to Full rooted 621 (With proper kernel) - Droid X - RootzWiki

OP
T

TheGoodKid

Reaction score
Thank you leftspin for the quick response and helpful link!

newmanx4

Reaction score
I was trying to find that! I remembered reading about it a while ago but I couldn't find it again so I thought I imagined it.

And it is confirmed to work on the X.
Sent from my Black Iced X

mxracer9111

Reaction score
TheGoodKid said:

Did you try the new root method? I am thinking about rooting. Waiting on the new razr max hd.

OP
T

TheGoodKid

Reaction score
mxracer9111 said:
Did you try the new root method? I am thinking about rooting. Waiting on the new razr max hd.

I have not tried it yet. It still looks pretty complicated for me. Much more than the original "1-click" method. I don't understand the whole CD part and how all that works. I may or may not try it.

OP
T

TheGoodKid

Reaction score
It worked!

I just tried this method and it was a success. I was even able to do it with my 4.5 year old and 19 month old zipping around me. Thank you newmannx4 and leftspin! Now I just need to find some cool and fun ROMs to try.