question about rooting the gs3?

mlewis76

Reaction score
lostsouls70 said:
Or some form of a moving program

DONT root the s3. There is NO reason to need to move apps. This phone has more than enough room for tons of apps. Even if u have the 16 gb. I have the 32 and have downloaded over 200 apps and still have 23 gb left and 6 of that is used by the phone system. If u are wanting themes, download go launcher n find themes. U can make app folders with the themes. I have my phone SO customized. But really there is no need to root, this phone is already the most badass one out there even better than the new iPhone. And u risk bricking. And if u root, and brick, ur warranty is no good and u will have to pay full price for a replacement.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
These days it's near impossible to brick your phone while rooting, it's doing stuff that requires root that can be a bit more tricky. mlewis is right though that there is no longer a need to move apps to the SD card. Most apps are less than 75mb, and 1gb is 1000mb.

The S3 is the first phone I feel it isn't NECESSARY to root. However, I still root mine just for Titanium Backup and AdAway. It can also be unrooted if you don't like it. And some apps have specialized settings that require root to use. So for the first time it doesn't really matter if you root unless you want it for specific reasons. Disabling bloat FTW.

GoBears

Reaction score
One of the best things about the S3 is the unlocked bootloader and easy root. I'm running CleanRom 2.5 and it's absolutely fantastic. There is several ODIN images to flash back to stock if you bork something so there's a nice safety net to root and rom. Good luck and enjoy your new device!

GOBEARS!

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
I'd like to root for the purposes of backup and for the ad-away app (mobile browsers are really compromised by all the crappy pop-ups on the web). But I don't want to lose out on OTA updates.

I went through hell on my Droid 1 trying to get that primitive phone to work with its gimped RAM. I rooted and rommed to CyanogenMod but never want to go through that miserable experience again. I do not find the ROMming experience as pain-free as everyone else seems to. Besides, I like the ICS/Touchwiz interface. After what I endured for two years on my D1 this OS awesome and perfect.

TLDR version: I want to root (but not ROM), just don't want to lose OTA updates (I can be patient for JB).

GoBears

Reaction score
I've taken OTA's while rooted as long as all of the bloatware is left intact and unfrozen. Do not take an OTA if you unlock the bootloader though. The ota will usually break root tho. One of my favorite root apps is rom toolbox pro. Has almost everything root users enjoy wrapped up into one app. Rooting the GS3 really is very painless and simple. Any questions feel free to PM or ask in a help thread.

GOBEARS!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I've taken OTA's while rooted as long as all of the bloatware is left intact and unfrozen. Do not take an OTA if you unlock the bootloader though. The ota will usually break root tho. One of my favorite root apps is rom toolbox pro. Has almost everything root users enjoy wrapped up into one app. Rooting the GS3 really is very painless and simple. Any questions feel free to PM or ask in a help thread.

GOBEARS!

I love rom toolbox pro it should come stock on the nexus devices

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'd like to root for the purposes of backup and for the ad-away app (mobile browsers are really compromised by all the crappy pop-ups on the web). But I don't want to lose out on OTA updates.

I went through hell on my Droid 1 trying to get that primitive phone to work with its gimped RAM. I rooted and rommed to CyanogenMod but never want to go through that miserable experience again. I do not find the ROMming experience as pain-free as everyone else seems to. Besides, I like the ICS/Touchwiz interface. After what I endured for two years on my D1 this OS awesome and perfect.

TLDR version: I want to root (but not ROM), just don't want to lose OTA updates (I can be patient for JB).

Though keep in mind, rooting and ROMing has come a looooong way since the D1. A lot of them have 1 click solutions now or step by step instructions, also covering common issues. Rarely do you have to dig through XDA or close your eyes and hope for the best anymore. Due to custom launchers, I agree ROMing isn't quite as cool these days unless you're looking for the hardware upgrades.

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3

GOBEARS!
I'll have a look at this. Thanks!

GoBears

Reaction score
Yeah rooting is nice and easy. Just make sure you get the proper drivers installed and it's a walk in the park.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had my new S3 rooted within the first 24 hours of getting it. Fairly easy process. I'm on the AOKP ROM and enjoy ICS.