1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Question About Roms

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by petemac85, Feb 6, 2010.

1. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

I am reading into the different roms and trying to figure everything out for the first time.. I understand that first i must root my phone in order to get any of them to work.. I also see that there is a way to back everything up so that you can switch back if necessary.. I really have 2 questions.. Which roms seems to be the best in everyones opinion? and the other is, so we first back up the phone and then root? or so we root and then back up?
  2. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

just use the updater in the app store, works like a charm and does it all for you.
  3. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

i think i want to back everything up just to make sure.. which is the best way to do that?
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

This app from Sholes makes nandroid backups for you....installs SPRecovery and everything, and roots if you haven't done that yet! It's really handy if I was you I would go for that one and save yourself a lot of time
  5. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

i just dont understand how i can go back if i dont like it
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Well you don't really 'go back' you just flash whatever you want to put on next. This will generally just be another cooked ROM but if you do want to 'go back' to stock than you just flash an image of the stock ROM.

The other option (which you should STILL DO REGARDLESS) is BEFORE you flash any ROM enter into SPRecovery and do a COMPLETE backup (means go into custom recovery and check all the options). Then no matter what happens you can just reenter recovery and restore that backup (note: a best practice is to give each backup a custom name so you can keep them straight).
  7. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

im only worried about this rom because im reading about alot of problems with it.. are you familiar with these?
  8. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Petemac, you have to do what you are comfortable with. I personally thought about the whole idea of rooting and getting a custom ROM for a while before I actually went ahead and did it. I felt more comfortable with it after being on this forum for a while and seeing how much support everyone gives on here, (not to mention, I don't think a case of anyone actually 'bricking' there phone has happened.)

I first used Bugless Beast .74 (for two days..:)) which was great, then tried the SholesMod when they came out with the SMUpdater.

Bugless Beast was great, SMUpdater gives Sholes the edge for ease of install, roots your phone and everything.

Every ROM has its few little problems (I haven't run into anything I couldn't fix yet on this one though). These dev's seem committed to getting them ironed out though. I'm confident all the problems being reported will be corrected soon.
  9. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

thank you so much.. that really made me feel better.. did you back everything up on your own? or did you let sholes do it?
  10. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

The SMUpdater makes a backup before it installs, I already had SPRecovery installed manually from when I originally rooted though so I had previous backups as well.

Edit: To make myself more clear..

SmUpdater, installs SPRecovery, does a Nandroid backup, then installs everything else.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

BB (Bugless Beast) is pretty stable. I've only heard of a few people having issues and most of those, IMHO are probably them doing updates over an previous ROM (instead of a 'clean' install) or other things (app conflicts ect.) that they haven't correctly identified before 'blaming' the ROM.
  12. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Yeah I agree, didn't have any problems with Bugless Beast. It was stable and actually bugless for me. I FEEL like Sholes runs a lil bit faster, but that may be just my mind telling me that because thats what I have installed. Maybe the 50Mhz higher max? Doubt I could really tell a difference.

Anyhow, can't go wrong with either IMO.
  13. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

BTW KZI, just moved from Nashville in November to Austin. Just in time to miss the snow you guys got! :icon_ banana:
  14. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

thanks for your help guys! im trying to install now.. which music do i want to install?
  15. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

LOL, lucky you. It wasn't the snow that was bad but the 1-2" of ice that came after the snow... then the random 'warm and sunny' day that was just enough to melt it only to have it refreeze the next day.... But my best-friend is in Northern Va. and they are getting HAMMERED. nearly 20" from what he was telling me earlier today.
  16. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

I DID IT! now are their any suggestions for setcpu?
  17. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Make sure when you install setCPU, under device selection, DO NOT select Droid, select 'autodetect.' This will let you set the CPU Speed to 1000Mhz (or 800,550,250,125.)

I recommend you set up 'profiles in the program to manage the CPU speed. It will offset some of the extra drainage on the battery.

If you set 1000MAX/125MIN, you might set 250/125 for when the phone is asleep, (I have mine set at 550MHz/125, I seemed to have problems with my phone waking up when someone was calling me, however I have seen people use the 250/125 without problems. I would also set a profile for under 30-40% battery life of 550/125, and then 550/125 for >40 degrees or so.

So the profiles might look like this,

Charging - 550/125
    Sleep/Standby - 250/125
    Under 30% Battery - 550/125
    Over 40C - 550/125

Select Set on Boot, so you don't have to open SetCPU every time your phone reboots. Also, select OnDemand for the CPU Governor. Other than that you should be good to go!
  18. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

KZI, I will take alot of snow over 1-2" of ICE in Nashville. Went through that once like 7-8 years ago...it was a mess.
  19. petemac85

petemac85 New Member

i installed everything exact but i do not have the gallery.. any ideas?
  20. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Did you choose the 3D 2.1 Gallery (Picasa, MT) or the stock 2.0.1 one during the install?