Question about Ram/Rom/Internal Memory

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by solorca, Apr 15, 2010.

1. solorca

solorca Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I've been looking at the specs for the Incredible, and it says that it has 528mb of RAM, 528mb of ROM, and 8gb of internal memory.

So, from a practical side, what does this actually mean? Will there be 8GB of space for things like apps and games, or will that be limited to 528mb? If I could actually use 8GB of space for apps/games, I think I may make the switch. I currently only have 26mb available, and had to delete Google Earth and Homerun 3D Battle just to keep from running completely out of space.

Only a few months into my Droid experience, I would hate to see how much stuff I will need to delete just to have all of the apps/programs I want.

2. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you just want more space, root your droid, install a custom rom and setup apps2sd so you can install your apps onto your SD card.

3. solorca

solorca Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Droid is rooted, but I would need a higher class SD card in addition to dealing with all of the other little issues that apps2sd causes at this time. Also, I may be mistaken about this, but I think you have to use the CyanogenMod to use apps2sd at this time...and I've had nothing but bad experiences with that specific ROM.

The extra space isn't the only reason I'm interested in upgrading, but it would be a nice perk.

Does anyone have an answer to the question?

4. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    since it says 512MB ROM, that would most likely be the limit for apps. Ofcourse, you would have to subtract whatever space the OS takes. No way to know for sure until someone gets their hand on a unit.

5. stanrc

stanrc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RAM is the memory used by processes currently running, more RAM means you can run more apps without any slowing down

ROM is the memory where the system files (the OS) is stored. This is where apps you download are stored as well by default.

The 8 GB is probably a microSD card. This is where you can store movies and music and stuff.

6. coolkidd

coolkidd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think this is the microSD... HTC Incredible also has a slot for microSD in addition to the 8GB... I believe the 8GB is "embedded internal memory"

Well see on the 29th.....:icon_ banana:

7. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Droid 512 ROM 256 RAM
    Incredible 512 ROM 512 RAM

The 8GB is internal storage for photos/music...ect. Not apps (this is additional space along with your SD card)

8. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Hello solorca,

You do not need a higher class sd card. I've been running apps2sd for a coule weeks now with zero problems. If you are not having any luck on Cyanogens ROM with apps2sd you may want to try UD v10.

But again, I have experienced not one issue with apps2sd.

9. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    512mb of ROM is your limit for apps. The 8gb is not an sdcard, just internal memory. To use the apps2sd feature, you do not need a higher class sdcard. I am using the same one that came with the phone and it works great.

Search tags for this page

8gb rom means

8 gb rom means

8 gb rom

8gb rom

android rom vs internal memory

rom vs internal memory

what does 8gb rom mean

what is 8 gb rom

what is 8gb rom

what is rom and ram in android