1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Question about/Problem porting a theme

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by teddyearp, Dec 4, 2010.

1. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Hi. I'll try to keep this short, but when I ask a question I just have to give some much info . . . . Anyways I got stuck on KrazyKrivda's old DarkSE 10k/24k theme way back when. His last release was a (all rom) MM version over at MDW months ago which pretty much only had a bunch of .png files (and the DarkSE.xml file, of course) and relied on SpareParts for theming most of the Notification bar colors, etc. Here's the file I am using:

http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/DarkSE~BTiconTeddyMod.zip

I used this via MM to apply it to my current rom way back when and when the market has updated my gmail, maps, etc., all I do is re-apply the theme by copying the .png's again to the proper place in the .apk's, etc.

I have been trying to update my rom to CM 6.0, ShadowRom 0.2.1, others, and most lately CM 6.1 RC5, but when I carefully apply this theme via MM, it works for a while but invariably I start getting 'process.android.acore' FC issues. And searching for that problem has led me to try to fix any problems with my google contacts, and no others having that error with the ROM's in question. And then it I usually find so many problems/bugs and it just gets to be so bad all I have to do is revert to my Sapphire 0.6.2 and go on without a hitch and running very well all around. And that's my background with this theme.

Here we go: So now I went to 'port' this theme to CM 6.1 RC5 by unzipping CM6.1 RC5 (and the gapps) and then going one by one and copying the contents from my theme file(s) folders to the correct folders in both of the above. Then I did a wipe and install and damn this thing booted right up and was working nice. But the market was slow to restore and I couldn't for the life of me get two apps to install.

So my question is should I have _only_ copied the .png files and ignore any and all .xml files?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Well not that it matters, but I thought I'd try a shaeless bump with more info. Since this post, CM 6.1 has been released and I have tried to port my theme to it by copying ONLY the .png's from the folders to the rom and gapps.

But still that market has many apps missing.

Any help yet?
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

:bump: again.

More frustration. I guess maybe this thread is only for myself as nobody here want to even give me the tiniest hand in this, arrgg!

Anyways, CM6.1.2 is out now and I fixed my market problems by installing it clean and then pretty much theme the whole thing with MetaMorph. What .apks that MM doesn't theme because of updates, etc. I can theme with NinjaMorph. HOWEVER, it's the gosh durned tricky butt framework-res.apk file. Once I get to theming that one, my phone will not boot.

I've heard that the .9.png files should be left alone. Is this where I am having the last trouble? PLEASE? ANYONE? Or have I just pissed everyone off here and nobody want to tell me so? I mean I've got almost a thousand posts and only about 16 of them are threads I've started, and only 8 asking for help. The rest are me trying to give help. PLEASE?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Well, I still don't know about them .9.png files. I took and deleted all of them from my theme and copied the rest into framework-res.apk via 7zip and still had a non booting phone. It might have been operator error as I did it all from CMRecovery. Backup -> factory reset -> format /system -> flash rom -> flash gapps -> flash framework-res.apk 'update.zip' -> reboot phone. No boot. Maybe when I calm down I'll try letting the rom boot first and stuff and then try applying the theme.

Thanks.
  5. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

I'm guessing that most people simply do not have the experience to help you. I can't speak for the themers though, but it sounds like you are dealing with quite a complicated issue.

I can relate about wanting to stick to one particular theme though. Sometimes it's just about the details or a certain style that others lack. I haven't yet attempted to learn theming, though I'd love to be able to keep my phone looking just the way I want it. It's a bit scary to me as I've heard how all-encompassing it can become.

I'm sure your experience trumps mine, but I've seen at least 2 script-based apps that are meant to port themes between any rom. If something does not match up it is just dropped, but the framework-res.apk is the big part of what themes touch on. Have you looked into these? I can look them up if you're interested though I imagine you'd have seen them too.
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I like this old theme and like it even more since no one else even uses it anymore. There's been two that are similar, but they just don't quite do it for me. I have seen those scripts over at XDA but they are made for porting themes that have been packaged in an update.zip file. And update.zip type file has the whole.apk that is going to be themed in it and the MetaMorph style theme only has the actual .png files in corresponding folders for the .apk's. Which is pretty easy to use with NinjaMorph as well.

However you are right it must have been too complicated for anyone here as the method that fixed my framework-res.apk (the last one that wouldn't theme) file was one I've never heard of before. A person named Creepy over at Cyanogenmod Forums fixed me up, so this issue is solved now.

Again, thanks.
  7. faber

faber New Member

give me a link to download the theme you want on your phone, then give me a link to a theme THAT IS CURRENTLY APPROVED for your rom.
  8. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

9. faber

faber New Member

test.zip
    use at your own risk. i have no way to test it. results are gonna be dependent on the theme for your rom you gave me as a base theme.
    if there are coloration issues with the text and bars that need changed for visibility, let me know so i can change the text color.
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Thank you very much. I haven't tested the file yet, but would you care to share what you did to create it?

Thanks.
  11. faber

faber New Member

open two cases of 7zip;
    one with your base theme (acceptable for rom theme)
    one with the theme you want.

transfer .png files only in to appropriate location in base theme.
    it is fine to move .9 files from 7zip to 7zip.
    leave .xml files alone.
    delete any apps in app section of base theme unused by theme getting ported.

make sure to get all .pngs in their appropriate place (this can get more complicated then it sounds, but none of it is real complicated; usually if it makes sense then its fine. the names are the same in the same location, etc.).

this usually begins the testing phase. often you'll have bar notification colors in the base theme conflict with bar color of theme getting ported, etc. etc.

then to fix or modify things like that check this link;
    working with .9 while themeing (making things stretch) - Android Forums

continue to scroll down in that link thread and you will see how to change colors of notifications, clocks, etc. then carrier name, and .9 file modifications.

i NEVER port themes for a different rom as i dont like to port anything i cant test on my phone first, but you sounded kind of irritated so i decided to see how it goes.

like i said; try at your own risk.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  12. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Well thank you very much again. And yeah I had been getting irritated, but actually by the time you posted, I had calmed down. I was doing the exact same thing as you described, except I was putting my .png's from my theme directly into the CM6.1 rom and gapps. Which was working all the way up until I did it to my framework-res.apk file. So, I'll check out the link you provided and test this as well on a fresh install, as a guy over at cyanogenmod forums helped me fix the framework-res problem. He said my .png's were too fat so he ran them through PNGGaunlet to fix.

Thanks again for your time.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  13. faber

faber New Member

you bet. i understand.

if you had someone else fix it for you; id go with his product.
    im sure his knowledge level is higher then mine.

best wishes.
  14. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

faber, I just wanted to post back with my results from your work. I did a clean install of CM nightly 266 (~6.1.3/6.2RC0) with gapps, let it boot and restore what it would, then used your update.zip style file. All went well, but there were quite a few things missing from framework-res.apk.

Thanks again.
  15. faber

faber New Member

glad to hear it went well. beats hearing it messed up your phone....lol.
    if i can do anything else to help with the missing pieces or whatever, just let me know.