question about phone upgrades

phatkat66

Reaction score
That's horrible news! I was excited to think I could get this at a decent price on release because of their special promo.

OP
jackpfree

jackpfree

Reaction score
so is it still up in the air whether the annual upgrade can be used for this promotion?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think that they will allow people who went on contract with their Droid in 09 to upgrade.

J

Johnly

If your upgrade is any time in 2010, you are good...if not, then you must wheel and deal...

Ricowan

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I thought I'd chime in.

The annual upgrade is not available to anyone who has a base calling plan that's less than $49.99 per month.

I've been in that boat since the original Droid came out, but now that the DX is available I'm glad. With the early upgrade I can get a DX at launch! Woot!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I thought I'd chime in.

The annual upgrade is not available to anyone who has the $29.99 data plan.

I've been in that boat since the original Droid came out, but now that the DX is available I'm glad. With the early upgrade I can get a DX at launch! Woot!

So you're saying you can't do an annual upgrade if you have a data plan? I have a hard time believing this. As long as you're on the primary line and your bill cost 59.99 a month I believe you're eligible. The 29.99 data just doesn't count toward the bill price requirement from what I've read. This is why the secondary lines are not eligible. No matter how much you have added on the base plan price is only 9.99.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mojo

Reaction score
Look, there have been several threads regarding this over the last few days. The only promotion that is going right now is a early upgrade to ANY smartphone. And to quilify your CONTRACT must end on or before 12-31-10.

In the Droid x press event it was said that users would be granted to upgrade early to the Droid X... it has not been made clear to us if this will be PART OF THE CURRENT PROMO, OR A SEPARATE ONE. Calling Verizon about a phone that has not launched yet is going to get you nothing but speculative answers. When more information comes available we/you will be the first to know. We have dispatched our secret ninjas to infiltrate Verizon to bring us information as soon as possible.

Ricowan

Reaction score
So you're saying you can't do an annual upgrade if you have a data plan? I have a hard time believing this. As long as you're on the primary line and your bill cost 59.99 a month I believe you're eligible. The 29.99 data just doesn't count toward the bill price requirement from what I've read. This is why the secondary lines are not eligible. No matter how much you have added on the base plan price is only 9.99.

Ah, you're right, I mis-remembered the requirement. You must have a calling plan (not including any additional features) that is at least $49.99 per month to be eligible for the annual upgrade. I was pissed about this, because my monthly bill is quite a bit higher than $49.99 but I was turned down for the annual upgrade because my base plan is $39.99. Here's the FAQ from the Verizon Wireless site:

What do I have to do to get a new phone with Annual Upgrade? You must be registered for My Verizon, be on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher and have completed at least 1 year of a 2-year contract and agree to renew for an additional 2 years in order to get a new phone at a promotional price. It’s as easy as that.

I'll fix my original post. :blush:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Lol, guess we were both a lil off. I couldn't remember whether it was 59.99 or 49.99. Thanks for the clarification.

Thevaristy

Reaction score
Does anyone have new information on this? Or clarification as to whether or not people who got Droids in Nov can upgrade at the reduced price? I am in that boat, and if I cant upgrade at the reduced price, I want to be able to stop caring about this phone.
Thanks!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
^^^Unless you got it on a one year contract you wont be able to upgrade with reduced pricing.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Does anyone have new information on this? Or clarification as to whether or not people who got Droids in Nov can upgrade at the reduced price? I am in that boat, and if I cant upgrade at the reduced price, I want to be able to stop caring about this phone.
Thanks!

Unless something changes in the next two weeks you might want to consider the stop caring option.

Thevaristy

Reaction score
I think Verizon actually saved me here. Between the camera and the bootloader, this phone looks more and more like a turd.