Question about overclocking

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by scheirere, Apr 23, 2010.

1. scheirere

scheirere New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys I'm looking to overclock my droid and I'm a bit confused about doing so. I'm just fine with the stock ROM and I'm not looking to use a custom ROM. So can I overclock with the stock ROM? Sorry if this is a pretty pedestrian question but I've done a little reading with regards to rooting the droid and I'm pretty much more confused than ever.
    Thanks in advance,
    Eric

2. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can overclock a stock rom. Team Chaos has some nice kernels for this. Any kernel compatible with ese81 will work.

3. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You have to root to install a custom ROM to overclock. Sorry.

4. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to install an OverClocked Kernel and installl the app SetupCPU

5. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong, but I think it was assumed that he was going to be rooted, and you don't need a custom Rom for that.

7. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You just need to root>Flash a overclocked kernel>Install SetupCPU....Period

8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, I interpreted:
    as he didn't want to root. ;)

9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You do not need a custom ROM, but you will need to root and install a custom kernel. Rooting will require connecting via USB to a PC and running RSDLite. Installing the custom kernel will involve putting an update.zip file on your SD card and installing it. Then you can use the SetCPU app to configure the overclock.

10. scheirere

scheirere New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off, I want to say thanks for the scream'n fast replies guys. :)
    Secondly, I should clarify a bit in that I haven't rooted my phone yet but figured it was necessary to do the overclocking. I just wasn't sure if I could use a custom kernal without a custom ROM.

Seems like I should be OK then to OC the CPU with the stock ROM and I'll do a little more reading on what exactly I need to do to accomplish this.

Now, one other question.......after I've rooted and OC'd the phone with a custom kernal, what about OTA updates? Is that going to be a problem, and do I need to block them like I've installed a custom ROM? And what if the update is something useful that I may want or appreciate. Do I go back to stock and run the update then repeat the steps to OC the phone?

Again guys, thanks a bunch for the info!

11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you will need to prevent OTA updates, as they will likely replace the kernel and take away your root access. The good news is, within a day or so of an update being pushed, somebody will take that update and make a version of it that is safe for root users. If you can survive the few hours that it takes, you're good to go!

As a side note - you won't need to do anything special to block the updates. SPRecovery blocks automatic updates by default. When you see an update, you can click "download and install" and let it reboot. When it reboots and tries to install, it will be prevented. At that point you can just reboot again and you're good as new, and the update won't keep bothering you.

12. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    IF you see an update notification. I don't get them.
    Se7enLC brings up a good point, installing SPRecovery should be on your list of must do's. Get in to the habit of creating a backup before you take on any new change that may go wrong. That way you always have a way back to a previously known good working status. I'd be lying if I said I never tried to do something that failed and the only reason I still have a happy phone is being able to boot up in to a previous state.

13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
  14. scheirere

scheirere New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again guys. Much appreciated. So all I need to do is get a copy of RSDlite, SPRecovery and a good customer kernal and I'm on my way! When I get a minute this weekend I'll give it a shot and see how well this noob makes out!!

I'm chomping at the bit to give this a try but I'm kinda tied up here and this stupid work thing keeps getting in the way of my cyber-slacking. :)

15. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was merely trying to say that after rooting and installing a ROM, I don't get the "normal" notification that others have stated getting. the only reason I knew my number had been handed out was that I went in to Check For Updates and saw it was there. It wouldn't install and I'm ok with that ;)

[/ [​IMG] ]