1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Question about overclocking

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droidtom, Feb 19, 2010.

1. droidtom

droidtom New Member

This is just a question and is not meant in an insulting way at all.

I can see that chips can be rated conservatively and I can see that Motorola might have underclocked the chip to conserve battery, but it seems very unlikely to me that a chip running at 550MHz is capable of working at double that speed. Setting a max cpu setting at 1200MHz when there's a 600MHz processor doesn't mean that you will get 1200MHz of actual performance. Have you guys been getting proportional gains in speed to the rates that people claim to be running at compared to the same performance measures on stock. Like I said I can see running faster, but not double the speed. What's the deal?
  2. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

It doesn't run at "double speed" at all times. Most people are (should) be using profiles to limit the speed during charging/sleep/etc. There's also a governor setting that allows an "ondemand" option. So, basically, you'll only be running at 1.2ghz when the phone needs to.
  3. droidtom

droidtom New Member

1.2GHz

Yes, but does it actually get 1200MHz of real performance when it needs it compared to 600MHz. When doing that how much faster is it actually?
  4. kevin1016

kevin1016 New Member

I've noticed a considerable amount of more speed. I'm not a developer and really don't know if it's getting "real performance" but it certainly runs nice, fast and smooth.
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

The difference is enough to make me keep mine at 1.2Ghz :D

If I smoke it...lesson learned and I'll bite the bullet and come out of pocket....
  6. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

I posted this on another thread but no reply, maybe ill get one here. Isn't the charging profile useless if you have the failsafe profile enabled? I mean purpose of having the charging one on is so it wont overheat. Also the failsafe profile has priority over the charging one. Am I correct here so I can enable my charging profile or am I missing something?
  7. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

Overclocking has been intriguing me for a little while now. But there have been a few videos floating around showing users' phones running at 1GHz, 1.1GHz, 1.2GHz.... and it didn't appear THAT much startlingly faster than mine, at least not enough to make me jump in to it..... yet. I know something probably gets lost in watching a video as opposed to if I were to actually have the phone in my hand, but I'm going to continue to sit out and watch for a little while longer at least.
  8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

The closest thing I have to data concerning this is the little benchmark program in SetCPU. Stock (but rooted) droids running at 550 mhz will benchmark at 400-600 (milliseconds to perform some predetermined task(s). My droid running Bugless Beast at 1.2 Ghz has a new record for me of 119 ms. That's faster. Now, I do not think it is four times faster, because without knowing what the tasks are there's no way to truly evaluate it. There are other benchmark test out there. But this is the one I've been using for a month or so.
  9. droidkm

droidkm New Member

well i think the idea is just that you don't want your phone to be constantly relying on a failsafe. charging produces enough heat that you probably don't want to be overlocking while doing it, otherwise you're going to be running very hot and it's going to be hitting failsafe and toggling off anyway, so why not just avoid all the excessive heat and reliance on a failsafe and reduce the clock speed off the bat.
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

over clocking is a gamble I'm willing to take. If the phone only last me 1-2 years so be it. I only plan on having it for 12 months...

If I fry it... shame on me :)
  11. hollowbox

hollowbox New Member

I run mine at 1ghz. It is noticeably snappier and smoother. Not 3 or 4 times faster, b ut enough that I could not go back. I tried 1.2 but it just gets to hot for my comfort.....I would like this phone to make it till my next upgrade :)
  12. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

It's all preference. Using mine at 800, and spareparts to speed up window animation, just flies. Accept the risk, do what ya please. Not all chips are created equal.
  13. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I used to run spare parts for the same reason. And then someone told me to go to Menu/Settings/Sounds&Display and turn animations Off. Talk about snappy!! May not be to your liking, but to me it's just the ticket.