1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

question about kernels

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mjl4878, Mar 18, 2010.

1. mjl4878

mjl4878 New Member

Ok so I'm comfortable rooting/unrooting my droid and using sprecovery to do nandroid backups. When I'm looking at these different rom options I see multiple kernels to pick from as well. I've done a little searching but what do these do exactly and how would I go about adding these in to go with the roms?
  2. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You flash them, in the same method as you would sprecovery.

Code:
    flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

Be careful, the wrong kernel can ruin your day.

Kernels add all sorts of things, such as overclocking or wifi tethering.

For instance, I compiled my own a while ago from the latest 2.6.29 source, and its newer than the ESE53 kernel, supports 600mhz, and wifi tethering.

But there is a decent chance it will not work on 2.0.1.
  3. YouDontDroidDoes

YouDontDroidDoes New Member

See that's what I don't understand. I finally rooted and installed UltimateDroid 7.8 but I do not know how to install all the other things such as kernels or other files on top of the rom. I know I'm a total noob but help would be awesome at this point.