1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Question about kernals

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thecaptain0220, Mar 24, 2010.

1. thecaptain0220

thecaptain0220 New Member

I just have a quick question about the kernals. If I do a nandroid restore using one of the images does it include a kernal? If I install a kernal using an update.zip and then install a different one later do I have to do anything or will the new kernal just overwrite the old one? Also how do the kernals releate to oc? For example what does it mean when I install a 1.0Ghz kernal? Does that mean it will run at 1Ghz or that it will run up to 1Ghz? I guess im just confused because of the oc apps, why do they exist if the kernals decide this? Are there any other benifits of upgrading the kernal execpt oc?
  2. GoGators

GoGators New Member

3. thecaptain0220

thecaptain0220 New Member

I went through that whole guide and it was very helpful. It doesnt really answer my questions though. There isnt much about kernels in there, only how to install one. From taking a second look it seems like it does answer one question by saying that you can overclock up to 1.2Ghz depending on the kernel. I assume this means whatever speed the kernel say means its max speed.
  4. GoGators

GoGators New Member

The kernel allows you to use custom settings in the SetCPU application. It can be clocked at "slots" up to the max speed programmed into the kernel. Do a search on that application or search on the ChevyNo1 or AdamZ kernels. There are dedicated forums for these great developers.
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Here is a link to Chevy's kernel selections. You have lots of options speeds with 5 slots vs speeds with 10 slots. You need to be rooted and will need an app called (setCUPhttp://www.pokedev.com/setcpu/). I believe the max speed is 1.25GHZ

Mike
  6. christim

christim Super Moderator