Question about Google Voice..

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've seen ALOT of users bring up GV in regards to free texts and visual voicemail. Does this mean that both features could be removed from my plan and still be used for free?

richardsugg

Reaction score
Visual Voicemail for sure, since you can make it where if you don't answer your cell, the voice mail goes to google. It's a little different for texts, though -- you can send/receive texts all you want on your google voice number, but texts to your cell phone number can't be forwarded (that I know of). So you'll just need to make sure that everyone is texting you using your google voice number.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another good thing about Google Voice that really doesn't have anything to do with your Droid but should be mentioned is you can now make voice calls from your computer with Google Voice in gmail. I've used it a few times now and I really like it a lot. It's free unless you go international.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I swear by GV my only gripe is that you cannot use an MP3 file for a voicemail greeting

C

cdexsw

ok to not sound like a total noooooob when i ask this.....how?

i use GV for voicemail. i assume that to use GV for text & voicemail you have a number from google correct?

so in the end you can send mms/sms with GV from your cell to other cells?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep. Ive got texts blocked through verizon. Use gv for my texting.

Ahhh! Good idea. That would keep me from falling back into the trap of someone sucking me into sms over VZW.

And, really, shouldn't be a problem. They just input your GV number for texts. Or, if that's too difficult, they could go old school and ACTUALLY CALL YOU.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
i assume that to use GV for text & voicemail you have a number from google correct?

When you sign up for Google Voice they assign you a Google number you have the option to always use it, or only use it for International Calls, or not at all

OP
Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i assume that to use GV for text & voicemail you have a number from google correct?

When you sign up for Google Voice they assign you a Google number you have the option to always use it, or only use it for International Calls, or not at all

Thanks for the feedback!!! I'll DEF have to check into it! Between my D1 and my girl's D2, it would save me about $36 per month on our bill! Anything I need to know before I set it up? I saw a comment someone left in the market that people could actually use Google to get your info if you use GV..? I'm also thinking that would've became an issue a while back if it were..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I saw a comment someone left in the market that people could actually use Google to get your info if you use GV..? I'm also thinking that would've became an issue a while back if it were..

If you text people thru GV I think your GV number will show-up, and if they have you in their contacts they can probably see your GV number in thru their buddy list or something. But I don't really see the issue here - random people can't find (I don't think) your GV number unless they have your gmail to add to their contact list.

OP
Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I saw a comment someone left in the market that people could actually use Google to get your info if you use GV..? I'm also thinking that would've became an issue a while back if it were..

If you text people thru GV I think your GV number will show-up, and if they have you in their contacts they can probably see your GV number in thru their buddy list or something. But I don't really see the issue here - random people can't find (I don't think) your GV number unless they have your gmail to add to their contact list.

Of course. The way this person was talking came off like it could be looked up by anyone. Like I said though, I'm sure someone would've caught that by now. Thank all of you for the info!!!

OP
Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
GV does NOT do MMS. So if folks send you MMS, make them send it to Gmail instead.

Good to know!! Thanks!! I assume that also would mean that you can't send recorded audio as well?

ShaiBrooklyn

Reaction score
Also if you have a backup phone that isnt activated but has Google voice on it you can still use it with wifi. When I was first powering on and setting up my DC from my d1 i was still able to make calls and text on the d1 even though it was no longer active.