Question about Google Voice and SMS

abean

Reaction score
Hey all,

Do I really need to have unlimited SMS on my phone with GV? Currently I have everything routed through GV. I just checked my bill online and it looks like I'm still getting quite a bit of SMS charged to me? Does this happen when people SMS my real number vs. my GV #?

Thanks

emlan

Reaction score
Check you GV settings to make sure that SMS texts are not being forwarded to your Verizon number. Yes, if people are sending texts to your Verizon number, then those will count against you. If they are sending to your GV number (and you are not having those automatically forward to your Verizon number) then those texts should not show up on your Verizon account.

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
Check you GV settings to make sure that SMS texts are not being forwarded to your Verizon number. Yes, if people are sending texts to your Verizon number, then those will count against you. If they are sending to your GV number (and you are not having those automatically forward to your Verizon number) then those texts should not show up on your Verizon account.

Thanks for the quick response.

Where do I check this? In GV settings for Text Forwarding, the only option I see there is to forward to my gmail. All my texts are only accessible through my google voice app on my phone ... they are not in my SMS inbox. This leads me to believe that everything is indeed coming through GV?

Actually ... yep, I'm a dummy. I got my Droid on the 15th and minus a handful after the 15th, they were all prior to that. I'll keep an eye on it ... but hopefully I can scale this back to save a few bucks.

Thanks

abaez

Reaction score
Go into the phones section, then edit the phone number and uncheck off the "Receive text messages on this phone."

OP
A

abean

Reaction score
Go into the phones section, then edit the phone number and uncheck off the "Receive text messages on this phone."

Yep, it's unchecked.

So really the only time I'd get hit on an SMS charge is if someone texts my original # then right? While I rarely get them, MMS would also be a charge correct?

Thanks

abaez

Reaction score
Yes.

And Google Voice does not support MMS, so you are definitely getting those on your regular number and they are being charged as a regular text.