question about free apps

jchavez

Reaction score
when you install a free app, before you install it it will have a warning about the type of access that this app will have in the phone, some say they can have access to services that cost you money, like send sms messages others say, read phone state and identity, how can they make money if they dont have my credit card info, and what is that mean to read phone state and identity?, sometimes is a little scary to install a program because of all this warnings.

thanks for your input people.

Jchavez

E

EvilWays

it means it may use data (not all companies require data plans on androids) and things like sending texts. its not costing you money itself, it just may require a service that on some carriers come at a premium.

edit: sorry, got away too quick. the free app is free, its not going to cost you money on a droid, but say your with a company that doesnt require a data plan (like tmo i think) and you download a browser app (like opera), opera is going to say "services that may cost you money" because its going to connect you to the internet that you dont pay a monthly fee for... get it?

honestly (and ill probably get flamed for this) i dont even read the warning. if its free, its free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droidfish

Reaction score
Well you're right to be weary and it's not only on free apps, every app requires different permissions to function and serve it's purpose.

Basically when you download any app just make sure that the permissions correspond with the purpose of the app.

While the apps in question might say they cost money what they mean is they CAN cost you money. For instance one that has access to sms can potentially cost you money if you exceed your monthly text message limit.

eliassami5

Reaction score
they are free because most have advertising in the app, a slight annoyance but if it bothers you that much then just get the paid app. Me personally i dont notice the adds, but if an app is really good then i will get the paid version to support the developers.

All apps will have warnings..99% of the time i dont even look at them because more often than not the apps i download have like 100K+ downloads so the risk is very unlikely. Its just a liability thing..verizon and moto dont wanna be responsible if a app hosted on their market starts stealing people identities.

OP
jchavez

jchavez

Reaction score
it is not about advertising, dont take me wrong, I did not say anything about advertising, I dont mind that, it was just a concern I wanted to get out of my chest, thats all, but Im cool with advertising, that is the way to keep this apps free.

eliassami5

Reaction score
it is not about advertising, dont take me wrong, I did not say anything about advertising, I dont mind that, it was just a concern I wanted to get out of my chest, thats all, but Im cool with advertising, that is the way to keep this apps free.

You asked why free apps were free, and i told you it because they have advertising in them. I never said anything about you complaining about advertising lol, i just meant that if you dont like advertising then you can get the paid app.