Question about flashing

Rage423

Reaction score
Ok so i have read the class thread over three or four times, and i understand what rsd lite is for but i dont know where to download it ( provided links arent working for me).

Also a friend of mine had said something to me about "flashing clockwork", i have no idea what he means but he said it makes installing roms much easier. Does anyone know what that means?

OP
R

Rage423

Reaction score
ok i have rsd lite now and, but im still not sure why i would flash before installing a rom?

chrstdvd

Reaction score
We might need to start over here.
1. What is it you want to do?
2. Are you rooted?

If you want to install a ROM you have to be rooted first. You use RSD light to flash back the original sbf and replace the ROM. That is go back to stock -out of the box condition.

If you do it right from the start, (or at least this is one way) you will download Droid2 boodstrapper from the market before you root. It won't work till you are rooted. Right after you root use the bootstrapper to make a back up of your phone. It is stored on your sd card.

Then install your new ROM. If you ever want to go back to stock, just use the bootstrapper to "restore". Then you can un root.

I suggest you read/study the sticky by PC747 at top of this thread. It will guide you step by step on rooting, unrooting, and installing ROM's.

OP
R

Rage423

Reaction score
Ok i feel like a idiot now, so now that i have bootstrap a backup and rsd lite im good to go correct? i can go ahead an install my rom of choice and if i mess up i have my bottstrap recovery to fix everything

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Pretty much, but you will need to download an sbf to flash to the phone with the RSD light program.

Thing to remember/know is:
1. if you "restore" with the backup, you will still be rooted. There are instructions to unroot in a sticky at top of thread.

2. if you use RSD light to flash the sbf file to your phone it will be unrooted and be back to the way it was when you bought it or downloaded the latest official OTA upgrade.

Once rooted you can install ROM of choice. But read up on it, I do not intend to install a ROM but have read the links about how to do that. Just follow instructions and you should be fine.