Question about easiest way to update after z4root

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
I've read several posts here about doing updates after z4root and maybe some of vets on this board can help out. Am I understanding that once an OTA comes out, I need to backup USER .apk using titanium backup, unroot the device, accept the OTA, reboot/ battery pull, then reroot, and then install the backup .apk's?

A little background: I am using a droid X with a stock ROM and I rooted for some basic abilities like tethering. I'm currently on .340 but I know that a new OTA will come eventually and I'm looking for a better way to disable the OTA's without having to change the file to a .bak where it would continue to draw off of the battery. Again, it seems like the more I read different forums, the more confused about things I become, as there is still much to be learned about Droid. I'm still learning this OS but I'm pretty good with many other devices. I've not removed any bloatware and besides the root, nothing much has really changed besides adding some apps for root users. Thanks again for the help.

tatuud

Reaction score
I've read several posts here about doing updates after z4root and maybe some of vets on this board can help out. Am I understanding that once an OTA comes out, I need to backup USER .apk using titanium backup, unroot the device, accept the OTA, reboot/ battery pull, then reroot, and then install the backup .apk's?

A little background: I am using a droid X with a stock ROM and I rooted for some basic abilities like tethering. I'm currently on .340 but I know that a new OTA will come eventually and I'm looking for a better way to disable the OTA's without having to change the file to a .bak where it would continue to draw off of the battery. Again, it seems like the more I read different forums, the more confused about things I become, as there is still much to be learned about Droid. I'm still learning this OS but I'm pretty good with many other devices. I've not removed any bloatware and besides the root, nothing much has really changed besides adding some apps for root users. Thanks again for the help.

as long as you make a backup, through droid x bootstrap of your phone just stock/rooted your phone will accept any OTA from Verizon. So make your backup then make all the changes you want. when an OTA comes out, restore your stock/rooted backup and you will be good to go.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

as long as you make a backup, through droid x bootstrap of your phone just stock/rooted your phone will accept any OTA from Verizon. So make your backup then make all the changes you want. when an OTA comes out, restore your stock/rooted backup and you will be good to go.

You may want to do a wipe before doing this. I didn't and got stuck at the M last night after I loaded a leaked update (3.0.0). Fortunately after several tries it booted up normally.

OP
W

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. So I have already DL'd bootstrap and installed it. Will I need to uninstall before doing a wipe? If so, do I need RSE light do uninstall it? The way I've learned about modding every other smartphone was by just doing the mods but I feel like this droid OS is much more difficult than some of the previous. The way that I'm understanding what you both have said (just so I have it right and don't mess it up) is that I need to a factory install in which I will lose my root access. I then need to re-root and make a backup with bootstrap with a stock/root ROM; as this now serves to recover with once I've done the OTA. Then I can start making mods until it is time to do another OTA. Am I reading it correctly?

Also, since I've got bootstrap installed now, do I have to now delete the "hyjack" file now to uninstall it? I feel like I'm going to be up **** creek when the next OTA comes out and I have to press "ignore" every hour. Thats just going to make me angry. haha

tatuud

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. So I have already DL'd bootstrap and installed it. Will I need to uninstall before doing a wipe? If so, do I need RSE light do uninstall it? The way that I'm understanding what you both have said (just so I have it right and don't mess it up) is that I need to a factory install in which I will lose my root access. I then need to re-root and make a backup with bootstrap with a stock/root ROM; as this now serves to recover with once I've done the OTA. Then I can start making mods until it is time to do another OTA. Am I reading it correctly?

install bootstrap...from there you can root or already be rooted then make a backup of stock rom/rooted. Now you can use roms and themes. when an OTA comes just use the backup option in bootstrap, it will be the oldest one there since they go by date. from there you're all set