Question about droid replacement with verizon

patt2k

Reaction score
hey there guys i bought my droid on ebay it is still under warranty and today my touchscreen stopped to work completely so i called motorola and i set up RMA and now if anyone knows if instead of doin that i could just go to verizon store and replace it? of course it is ROOTED so i would need to unroot by placing my sd card in another phone and then doing the update.zip (i am able to go into recovery mode)

please help =)

r314bd

Reaction score
You can definitely go into a VZW store and get a replacement...but I would recommend doing it by phone. If your Droid was working you could just dial *611 but you can also call 1-800-922-0204 to get VZW Customer Support and tell them you want a warranty replacement. They'll ship it out to you in 2 days with a prepaid label to send your old one back. I don't know if they ship on Saturdays so theoretically you might have to wait until Wednesday to actually get your replacement if you go this route. But at least this way you don't have to worry about a VZW employee at the store figuring out that you're rooted.

Keep in mind they'll send you a refurbished Droid, not a brand new one...although to the naked eye it will look new. You'll also have to keep your SD card, battery, and battery cover (they don't send those.)

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score
You can definitely go into a VZW store and get a replacement...but I would recommend doing it by phone. If your Droid was working you could just dial *611 but you can also call 1-800-922-0204 to get VZW Customer Support and tell them you want a warranty replacement. They'll ship it out to you in 2 days with a prepaid label to send your old one back. I don't know if they ship on Saturdays so theoretically you might have to wait until Wednesday to actually get your replacement if you go this route. But at least this way you don't have to worry about a VZW employee at the store figuring out that you're rooted.

Keep in mind they'll send you a refurbished Droid, not a brand new one...although to the naked eye it will look new. You'll also have to keep your SD card, battery, and battery cover (they don't send those.)

Thank you for your reply I also have 1 question since I am on verizon but I am running via page plus which is verizons reseller

would goin to verizon store still work in that case? since the phone is still under warranty I called motorola and they said for me to choose either go to verizon store or send it to them. THank you

r314bd

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply I also have 1 question since I am on verizon but I am running via page plus which is verizons reseller

would goin to verizon store still work in that case? since the phone is still under warranty I called motorola and they said for me to choose either go to verizon store or send it to them. THank you
Hmm. I don't think VZW will replace it in this case. You'll most likely have to go through Motorola. Might as well call up VZW customer service tomorrow just to check...couldn't hurt

eliassami5

Reaction score
If you walk into the store all they will tell you to do is file an insurance claim. Only thing they will replace in store is warranty replacement, things that go wrong with the phone not due to anything you have done. Your case sounds like a warranty replacement but i dont know if they will honor it if you didnt buy the phone in the store..but its worth a shot.

Dragoro

Reaction score
I filed for warranty claim on friday. The ok'd it fine but the droid is on back order. Mine wont arrive until wednesday.

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score
If you walk into the store all they will tell you to do is file an insurance claim. Only thing they will replace in store is warranty replacement, things that go wrong with the phone not due to anything you have done. Your case sounds like a warranty replacement but i dont know if they will honor it if you didnt buy the phone in the store..but its worth a shot.

would it work in any authorized verizon store? i will give it a shot on monday if not im sending it express usps mail to motorola

eliassami5

Reaction score

would it work in any authorized verizon store? i will give it a shot on monday if not im sending it express usps mail to motorola

yes but you bought your phone off EBAY..so i dont know if they will honor the warranty.

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score

yes but you bought your phone off EBAY..so i dont know if they will honor the warranty.

what if i say it was just a gift ? i dont mention where I got it from. I mean it is still under verizon / motorola warranty. Is it worth a try?

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Your best bet is to probably either go through Motorola or an insurance claim. Verizon's systems can trace the ESN and if it has been on a different account it will automatically tell you it is out of warranty due to changing accounts. Do u know if u bought it brand new or was it used?

OP
P

patt2k

Reaction score
Your best bet is to probably either go through Motorola or an insurance claim. Verizon's systems can trace the ESN and if it has been on a different account it will automatically tell you it is out of warranty due to changing accounts. Do u know if u bought it brand new or was it used?

from what i know it has been a phone that has been used for less then 30 days and returned to verizons premium store something like that

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Yeah so the ESN will come up as being activated on another account. Doesnt hurt to bring it into a store but chances are it will come up as out of warranty. Motorola has a pretty quick turn around time as long as you have another phone to activate in the mean time. No sense in making an insurance claim if u can get it fixed for free!

finner

Reaction score
Just joined and love the info everybody has. I ruined my Droid and ordered a replacement. They told me it would be 3 weeks so I bought one on ebay. I have my new (refurbished) from Verizon. Can I sell that on ebay? I don't need two of them.