question about droid overseas

Aquaman791

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question and I realize it might sound dumb to some people, so please forgive me...

I work on merchant ships and I will be going on a ship within the next few weeks. I am not sure yet where I am going, but it will be overseas. I know that the droid is not a "world phone," but I still want to use it as a music player/alarm clock. Will I get screwed over with any roaming charges if I have it on while I'm overseas? And I know that my old phone had to have a signal to have the clock work, is this the same way with the droid? I also thought that I could put it on airplane mode while I am at sea because I think this prevents the droid from accessing the network. Can anyone shed any light on the subject for me? Thanks a lot in advance.

-John

roflcopters

Reaction score
Just turn airplane mode on to disable all connections
On a further note though, since the Droid is a CDMA phone, it takes CDMA signals. It can't roam off a signal type it doesn't support in the first place

Last edited:

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I would put it in airplane mode. Nothing burns my battery life faster than being in a dead spot and constantly searching for a network signal.

zero7starz

Reaction score
You shouldn't be hit with roaming charges unless you're actively using your services (making calls, using data, SMSing ect) the clock/mp3 player functions shouldn't cost you at all.

If you can figure out where you're going, you might check with CC to see if you COULD get signal there, as CDMA network works in all of North America, and extends into some other parts of the world, too. Obviously the Droid can't roam on GSM with out a SIM card, but it never hurts to check. They might also have some inexpensive "international" features you could add, as well, so IF you can get service you can use it without being charged a ton.

Otherwise, airplane mode would probably be wise so no one could contact your phone resuling in charges.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Obviously the Droid can't roam on GSM with out a SIM card, but it never hurts to check.
Just wanted to clarify as the wording of the statement above makes it sound as if you have a SIM card you can roam on GSM networks with the Droid. The Droid isn't GSM capable at all so even if you have a SIM card it won't operate on GSM networks.

Rettocs

Reaction score
On a further note though, since the Droid is a CDMA phone, it takes CDMA signals. It can't roam off a signal type it doesn't support in the first place

This. But as others have said anyway, if you are away from an active connection, the phone will get into a searching cycle that will rip through the battery life. Airplane mode is great!

jkwakopo

Reaction score

This. But as others have said anyway, if you are away from an active connection, the phone will get into a searching cycle that will rip through the battery life. Airplane mode is great!

S.Korea has CDMA Tech just like N.A.. It will probably work there... I haven't been to Korea with droid yet but my older phones used to work in Korea..

scottl

Reaction score
S.Korea has CDMA Tech just like N.A.. It will probably work there... I haven't been to Korea with droid yet but my older phones used to work in Korea..

I am heading to S. Korea tomorrow, so I will let you know for sure once I get back...