Question about charging algorithm

quizzard

Reaction score
Does the ROM control the charging algorithm or does the Kernel?

I have been tracking my charging current via Battery Monitor and with 5.5.886 and 5.5.893, using Th3ory 2.0 I was able to get 1600mA charging current with my tablet charger.

However, with the new 5.7.893 and Th3ory 2.3, my phone seems to max out at 500mA when turned on.

With the previous set-up I could tether multiple devices and still maintain a charging current, whereas now I can barely even surf the web w/o draining power while plugged in.

phatkat66

Reaction score
Thats a great question because I've noticed it's taken me nearly 2 - 3x longer lately to get back to 100% while charging with the screen on. I thought it was just me. With certain apps open my charge wouldn't even continue to charge it would just slowly die.

Im running the 2.3 Shifter rom. Maybe this will be fixed in an update.

konellaz

Reaction score
Yes same problem here.. Takes hours to fully charge from the low batt. Warning when im connected to hdmi and screen on. HOURS!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
The changing is all Kernel. I have noticed the USB charging is terribly slow. I haven't seen a difference in AC though.

Icculus760

Reaction score
The changing is all Kernel. I have noticed the USB charging is terribly slow. I haven't seen a difference in AC though.

Agreed. AC charging seems to work just as fast as previously and USB/car charging is just as horribly slow as it was previously (compared both to the stock ROM & the many versions of r3blurr3d I've ran since the start)

konellaz

Reaction score
I have the webtop anywhere adapter.. I've tried both ways with and with out. I only use AC. Im getting my 4th replacement tomorrow.. Ill run it down to low batt. plug in hdmi and watch Netflix while I trim and see how long it takes to charge.. The phone will be stock out of the box. Then ill root and install my fav... Shift3r V2.3 ics and test again.

OP
Q

quizzard

Reaction score
To make we are all Apples to Apples... List the following:

1. Battery type:
2. Charger mA:
3. Kernel:
4. ROM:
5. Charge time (and method of recording):

For me:

1. Extended battery
2. 2.1 mA tablet charger
3. 5.7.893
4. Th3ory 2.3
5. Approx. 4.25hrs via battery monitor 3c pro.

Before on 5.5.886, 5.5.893 on Th3ory 2.0/2.1 I was able to charge in about 2.5 hours.

Fyi the stock bionic charger puts out 850mA, and the majority of USB chargers put out 500mA.

OP
Q

quizzard

Reaction score

If this is really the case I am going to flash back down to 5.5.886. being able to charge the battery under heavy usage is a must fir me.what is the point of having a high current USB charge id the phone its going to limit the charging current to 500 ma.

OP
Q

quizzard

Reaction score
Update: Went back to 5.5.886 stock OTA and now I'm seeing a charging current of 1685mA again. Gonna sit on this OTA until the next update comes out. I do like Th3ory 2.3 but the charging current limiter is a deal breaker.