Question about changing GV number

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by GadgetRick, Aug 17, 2011.

1. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

So I've had a GV number since very early. I've since moved to a different state and it would be good if I were able to change the number, however, so many people have my number and I don't want them to not be able to get in touch with me. I'm wondering if there's a way to get a new number and have calls made to my previous number forwarded to my new number.

I know I can change the number, and I've seen some things about forwarding but they all seemed fairly temporary. I don't need it permanently (don't expect them to keep a number forever if I'm not using it) but I'd like it for a while (say about a year maybe).

Anyone have any ideas on whether I can do this and, if so, how I can do it?

Thanks.
  2. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Bump...
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Google would have to provide the forwarding. If it's possible it should be mentioned in the GV number change documentation. Are you unable to notify your contacts about number changes? A lot of people that I know don't even bother with changing their number if they move.

From http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/need-new-number.html (found by searching GV help, emphasis added):
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Well, I hadn't changed the number (been here since October) but I'm in sales and a local area code wouldn't hurt.

It would be next to impossible to let everyone know about my new number. I don't even know who all has it as I've been in sales for a number of years and I also have a photography business which has used this number since I've had it. Just not something which is (logistically) possible.
  5. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Bump...
  6. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Anyone?

This is my only major complaint about Android and Google, there isn't a tech support number you can call for an answer (even if you'd have to wait forever). So I'm at a loss with things like this as well as the syncing problem I'm having with Gmail at the moment.

Thanks.
  7. anuraj1

anuraj1 New Member

When I changed my GV number, the previous number continued to work. I looked it up at the time and the previous GV number works for 90 days.
  8. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

That's good to know. Unfortunately, I need the number to work and have calls forwarded to the new number. :(