question about BT headphones

sirmeili

Reaction score
Hey all. Just got my droid last week and LOVING IT!. Best phone I've ever owned and not sure how I lived without it. Now on to my question.

I am currently using a wired set of headphones. I'm thinking of going with a set of BT headphones and I noticed that most of them have volume/media controls on them. When the phone is locked, can these controls still effect the media volume and play/pause/skip functions on the phone? I would think so, but at $70 or so, I don't want to waste my money if they can't do this.

Thanks!

OP
S

sirmeili

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and while I'm here. What recommendations for BT headphones are out there? My best case would be a set that you could use 1 ear or 2 (since at work, I like to keep one ear open just in case). I'm also a huge fan of in ear headphones.

Thanks again!

atlharry

Reaction score
I currently have the MOTOROKR S9-HD headset and it's been the best thing ever for me! I travel a lot so it sees a lot of use. I've been able to work out with them and even run with them on. I've also had the older plantronics version which was convertible from mono to stereo by attaching an additional ear bud. Unfortunately, this broke within 2 months so I can't recommend it at all (plus, I think it's been discontinued).

All volume, player and call controls work.

One thing that you have to be careful of is sometimes the rubber in-ear thingys will fall off, so you have to be careful of that.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...phones/MOTOROKR-S9-HD-Stereo-Headphones-US-EN

OP
S

sirmeili

Reaction score
atlharry,

Thanks :) that was one of the sets I was looking at. I remember the plantronics..too bad they didn't work out. they sound perfect (in concept and is probably where I got the idea for the 1 or 2 ear headphones).

OP
S

sirmeili

Reaction score
PsychoDroid, In one of the pics on Moto's site, it looks like it only has 1 ear.. I'm guessing that is an optical illusion due to the perspective the picture was taken. Am I correct or are the ear pieces removable?

PsychoDroid

Reaction score
Just checked. I wasn't sure after you asked. lol! It is not removable. But the sound has been great. I use them around my house, and can pick up signal almost anywhere without bringing my phone. The laundry room in my basement makes it break up a little if the phone is upstairs, but I don't need to do any stinking laundry anyway. ;)

The volume control works fine, as does the call answer and mute. I use Rhapsody on mine, and it doesn't switch songs on it. It changes the songs you have on your Droid. I have ringtones saved, so that can get annoying if you hit that button, but mute stops it right away.

jman09

Reaction score
I also have the MOTOROKR S9-HD and they work great. Sound quality was better than I expected.

Murz

Reaction score
I can't use them for driving though. Need a regular bluetooth for that.

PsychoDroid, In one of the pics on Moto's site, it looks like it only has 1 ear.. I'm guessing that is an optical illusion due to the perspective the picture was taken. Am I correct or are the ear pieces removable?

I use my S305's in the car everyday. Since they are over-ear headphones its easy to just kind of lift one headphone side up onto your head above your ear. I do this so I dont get a ticket, even though I can hear everything just fine with both headphones over my ears. Im actually not sure what the law is in regards to that(living in california), thats why I play it safe and always drive with one headphone lifted up above my ear.

Last edited:

kaylesworth

Reaction score
Hey all. Just got my droid last week and LOVING IT!. Best phone I've ever owned and not sure how I lived without it. Now on to my question.

I am currently using a wired set of headphones. I'm thinking of going with a set of BT headphones and I noticed that most of them have volume/media controls on them. When the phone is locked, can these controls still effect the media volume and play/pause/skip functions on the phone? I would think so, but at $70 or so, I don't want to waste my money if they can't do this.

Thanks!
Just got the Samsung WEP870 from Verizon. It's on sale for $30 and it can be used as either a mono or stereo earpiece as it comes with the stereo adapter. So far it's been pretty sweet for listening to podcasts at work.

PsychoDroid

Reaction score
I am in GA. They have been cracking down on everything here. I have used them once in the car, but it made me a nervous wreck. I was worried about getting a ticket. I might need to check the laws a little closer here.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I have the Moto S9s also. They're better than ever with the Droid. You have volume/call buttons on the left, and play/pause and track skip up/down buttons on the right. Once you have music playing, you can be in any other app on the Droid, or have it locked and in your pocket and you can always use all the buttons on the headset.

Also, all your notification sounds will come through on these, so it's great for when you are places where you don't want your obnoxious sounds going out into the room.

Edit: correction... notification sounds still come through the phone speaker. Only sounds that run through multimedia output go through the headphones. Most apps use multimedia output though, such as google navigtator's voice prompts. But you still need to be aware that notification sounds will not.

Last edited:

Murz

Reaction score
I am in GA. They have been cracking down on everything here. I have used them once in the car, but it made me a nervous wreck. I was worried about getting a ticket. I might need to check the laws a little closer here.

Yeah I’m gonna have to look into the California laws as well. I will say though, I have had my S305's for over 2 months and on multiple occasions a police squad car has pulled up right next to me at a stop light, the officer looks right at me, sees my headphones, and does nothing. I’m not sure if it’s because they just don’t care, or if there is no actual law in effect at this point... After thinking about it, it might be that because of the way the headphones clamp onto my head the officer just thinks it is a normal (mono-ear) bluetooth.

Phreaker47

Reaction score

Yeah I’m gonna have to look into the California laws as well. I will say though, I have had my S305's for over 2 months and on multiple occasions a police squad car has pulled up right next to me at a stop light, the officer looks right at me, sees my headphones, and does nothing. I’m not sure if it’s because they just don’t care, or if there is no actual law in effect at this point... After thinking about it, it might be that because of the way the headphones clamp onto my head the officer just thinks it is a normal (mono-ear) bluetooth.

I live in Cali and I don't think it's actually legal to wear stereo headphones in the car... however I have done it on occasion for short drives around town (with the volume low enough of course) with my S9s... The S9s are low profile enough I figure... hard to notice from a distance.

rmcray08

Reaction score
My research led me to the Motorola MotoROKR S305s. They have gotten pretty good reviews regarding speaker quality, though the reviews regarding quality of the microphone and voice transmission have been mixed. I wanted a set that I could use in the gym and while running that was budget-friendly. My final three options were between the S305, the Nokia bh-503 (which generally got better reviews for mic quality), and the Rocketfish RFMAB2. In the end, I went with the MotoROKR S305s because I could get them for half the price of either of the other two, shipping included. I haven't yet received them, but this was a decision I bounced back and fourth with since buying my Droid in early March.

MotoROKR S305 at Buy.com for $33.95, free shipping.

Last edited: